• 4 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am one of several assistant instructors at my dojo. Here's a basic rundown of the assistant instructors (this will be pertinent in a second).

1.) Current head assistant instructor: First Dan, training for 12 years, not bad when he used to train...but hasn't been to a class for the last four or five years. I honestly don't know how he gets away with it...he teaches the kids every day, but never trains...

2.) Me. Current second in command, set to take number 1's position in a few months when he leaves for college. First Dan, but was a Junior black for the past four years. Trained for 11 years. I train at least twice a week, and know virtually every technique backwards and forwards (and also mirror image).

3.) Older man, mid 50's. Second Dan, trains just about as often as I do, been training for 7 years. Knows a lot about the system - but not a great teacher.

4.) 1st kyu brown belt. Trains a ton. Been training for four years. Not a great teacher, but knows a lot about technicalities.

Basically, when students tell me that they learned something different, I ask them who told them that. If they say, "Professor Halsey," I know I'm wrong. If they say number 1, I know I'm right. If they say 3 or 4, I teach them my way, then make sure I was right by Professor Halsey as soon as the opportunity presents itself.

In the same way, analyze the assistant instructors. Which of them train the most? Which of them has been training the longest? Unfortuantely, everybody is different, so they probably won't totally agree...you'll have to prioritize.

But, as others have said...a surefire way to make sure you're correct...your Head Instructor.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

At the club I run as an instructor, I try to teach students techniques which apply to their size/fitness/skill etc..

To me any technique that is executed well that works for the student is a good technique.

At the club where I'm the head assistant instructor, if I tell a student anything (slightly) outside the traditional syllabus, it is considered an incorrect technique!

Aside from that, if you train in one style for any length of time then move clubs (but same style) you'll probably find that their chief instructors way of teaching is different too!

The more I train, the more I see the errors in my technique :(

This is the way I handle it...generally I do it the way they are showing me and then get clarification AFTER class. On a rare occasion they may ask the students for guidance when they are unsure....then they get instant feedback from me.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

being an assistant instructor now I currently have seen things be looked at differently by myself and the instructor. However I am in a bit different situation where the head instructor and I are both the same rank from the same master. In this case there are several times where instead of one always being correct or not we often consult eachother as equals. If we still are not certain our master is often used as a resource at a later time either in person or via phone or email. Perhaps a good way to help would be to explain it was taught differently and have the assistant instructors discuss it briefly if they are agreeable to this. They could then inquire w/ the head instructor if a satisfactory answer is still not forthcoming.

Getting a blackbelt just says you have learned the basics and are ready to actually study the form as an art.

• 8 months later...

At my studio we have like 15 people on our Leadership team and all of us teach classes. There have been times where we have more teachers than students in class. I know that we are all basically on the same page with our techniques and what we are doing. Personally if i see a student doing something and i correct them, i ask first waht any of the other Leadership members have told them then say what i think, i then go and ask the other leadership member and see why they said it that way. Worst comes to worst we ask our GrandMaster. It all works out in the end.

Genetics is the study of which parents family is to blame for a teenagers behavior.

If a person is not a certified instructor then they should not be teaching classes. At my school the assistants are always supervised by a higher-ranking instructor, who makes sure they keep on track with what they are teaching. If the problem is in the higher-ranking instructors interpreting things wrong, then I suggest having leadership meetings where the instructors go over their curriculum and lesson plans.

This is the layout of our school.

Chief Instructor - 4th Dan, 35 years experience

Instructor (me) - 2nd Dan, 18 years experience

Instructor - 1st Dan, 8 years experience

Assistant Instructor - 1st Dan, 6 years experience

As you can see, there's a fair variety and what this means is that there will always be slight differences in the way things are taught. This usually just comes down to personality and preference. Any major differences on the other hand should not occur. Because the head instructor and I trained in different dojo's, we find that sometimes this occurs. When it does, the students politely ask why I am teaching different to the head instructor. The head instructor and I will then discuss the difference and come up with an answer. Never is it a problem though because we are open minded about it and so are our students.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Let's assume that both of the assistant instructors are reliable and capable martial artists and teachers. I am assuming this because your chief instructor (headmaster) would not have them teach otherwise. This said, there could be a couple of reasons for discrepencies. I'll offer a few of those I have experienced.

1. It's possible that the lesson you were learning was actually a lesson for the assistants as well. For example: If the chief instructor told them to drill front kicks with the class... this could mean several things. If the assistants don't communicate with eachother very explicitly about what to do, there will be differences in what you are shown. Front snap kick, front thrust kick, front kicks from specific stances or stance transitions ect...

(Remember, the lesson may not be about you.)

2. People with different body types tend to have slight differences in how they execute techniques. It's good to see and experience this variety because it will help you to learn more about your own use of various techniques.

The rest of the posts have already given several other possibilites. Bottom line is don't let it get you down. As many have said before me... Ask the chief instructor for clarification on anything. And always do it with respect for your instructors in mind.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• 2 weeks later...

Im an assistant instructor. I have made mistakes. I think when things become confusing within 5 minutes Ask your sensei, then if the assist. tells you something different, tell him that "sensei said to do it this way." the most he can say is that he will check with sensei. When that has been said to me all i respond is "do it this way just for now". sometimes sensei has corrected me and other times I have been right after class when i discuss it with him.

im G A Y and i love you i W A N K over you EVERY DAY!!!