• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Assistant Instructors

Hey Guys and Girls,

I have a question about assistant instructors. (I might vent a little bit so please bear with me :) ) At our school, the headmaster is responsible for teaching us our lessons, but there are some nights that he sits in his office and watches on his monitors as the assistant instructors teach part of a lesson or review something we have worked on in the past. I know many of you are instructors and assistant instructors in your own respective styles or you will most likely be one someday if you keep with it. My question/complaint deals with the lack of uniformity between the assistant instructors. The assistant instructors at the school do a good job, but they can also be totally different. One will tell you to do a movement one way. Five minutes later, another assistant is correcting and changing what their fellow instructor said. Does this happen often at your school? I can think of times when I have left class very frustrated because the assistant instructors are not on the same page when it comes to teaching a particular lesson or techique. Any comments, instruction, or encouragement would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

"The journey of a 1,000 miles starts with but a single step."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assistant instructors are still students... as are senseis! Each will have their own interpretation of what is 'right', though as the last person said check back with the Chief Instructor.

However and I can't stress this enough. Don't do it in a manner that is accusatory towards the assistant instructor! By all means seek clarification and use the information to make your Karate better, but don't go and accuse the assistant or contradict them in class.

I've recenlty seen this in Japan and it was an American who made the point and unfortunately he confused the use of fudo dachi for higher grades with zenku-za-dachi for lower grades. This is forgiveable, what isn't is the fact that he followed up his question by saying that his instructor had been wrong!! Bad mistake.

--

Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

There is nothing wrong with asking for clarification. Although it is the responsibilty of the head instructor to make sure everyone is teaching things consistantly.

In our school we run into things that someone learned a little differently. We have regular meetings where we bring these up and come to a consenses as to the way we are going to teach.

But I would as for clarification from the assistant first. Odds are it's a simple misunderstanding or just a slight difference in emphasis. I'm sure the assistants do not want to have you do something wrong in front of the head instructor and then be told that you were taught that way by one of the assistants.

TKD WTF/ITF 2nd Dan

"A Black Belt Is A White Belt That Never Quit"

Well, I am the Assistant Instructor for my karate school. However, if there are things that I am unsure of I will ask Sensei. There's always new things to learn, even if you have been training or teaching for donkeys years.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

This can be a problem if allowed to go too far. I've been both an assistant instructor and now a Chief Instructor, and in my opinion it is the Chief Instructor's job to ensure that the assistants are teaching the material the way he wants it taught. In short, standardization and uniformity is the Chief Instructor's job.

Many instructors I know have Instructors Classes or Leadership classes expressly for this purpose- to teach assistants how to teach. In fact, I am required to attend Instructors Classes mysel, periodically, led by senior masters or our Grandmaster, to ensure that we are holding to the standards, as well as to share new teaching methods, new curriculum options, etc.

I am a strong proponent of this. I used to chafe sometimes when my instructor would tell me that I had to teach something a certain way, but now that I have my own students, I understand better, and understand the need for uniformity within a school.

Now if it run as a complete dictatorship, that will obviously be too far the other way. The instructors classes need to be a forum for open discussion sometimes, as well.

All in all, though, confusion created by a lack of standardization is a problem, and one that should be avoided as much as it can be.

That IS definately the attitude to have! Unfortunately not all the assistant instructors are like minded. Many feel that they should be the Chief Instructor

--

Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

Only our master instructor and senior instructor teach all classes (except for the tigers class). They are the "engine" of the school. They do things the exact same way (for the most part .... once in a while you catch one doing something wrong LOL). There are people that help out in class (required for red belts and above to keep the ratio of student/instructor at a reasonable level), but they DO NOT actually lead the class.

So if I have a question about something, I ask the instructor. One of them is always there.

Laurie F

In order to become a certified instructor in our organization (in addition to earning a black belt), you have to learn and demonstrate techniques, forms, and teaching methods as well as serve as an "apprentice" under a senior instructor for a fairly long time. This helps quite a bit with correct (and uniform) teaching of technique.

My assistant instructors are careful to teach techniques and forms exactly as I teach them. However, I welcome their different teaching methods such as different drills and exercises they have picked up or created. This adds variety for my students and keeps things interesting.

If they are ever unsure about a technique or form, they ask me.

--

This is part of their training. You will be asked to teach at some point. The problem happens when like you said they don't know. One is right one is wrong. I would approach the head teacher about the move in question. My guess is the students teaching are not bad they just don't know and prob. in fear of saying I don't know they just make it up.

Other opt. is they may train in other styles and have a differant take on the move.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."