Tell me what you know-Krav Maga

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

glockmeister, how about instead of just saying "wrong" you try to explain/prove your point?

Let me try to explain it. Krav teaches ground techniques but with the emphasis on striking to get up from the ground, not to grapple for positions or submissions. It has people who come in and teach bjj and the like, but ideally they want to teach you to get up from the ground as opposed to engaging in a prolonged ground struggle.

Tapped out, knocked out, or choked out...Take your pick.

http://jujitsu4u.com/

http://www.combatwrestling.com/

http://gokor.com/

glockmeister, how about instead of just saying "wrong" you try to explain/prove your point?

Explaining my point would make sense if a person explained theirs. Its nothing personal just that I dont see how someone can make blanket statements like you made about a style of defense you have never studied.

You stated basically that Krav taught nothing about defending yourself on the ground. But to my knowledge, you dont take it so how could you say that? You didn't site any source of informatin. :wink:

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

Because I've had people who study it tell me there's no ground techniques like passing the guard and such stuff that should be taught to defend yourself from a bjj practitioner.

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

CapitalKarate wrote:

Because I've had people who study it tell me there's no ground techniques like passing the guard and such stuff that should be taught to defend yourself from a bjj practitioner.

I don't think Krav Maga is intended to defend against a BJJ practitioner. Its emphasis is on your normal street attack, not against any particuliar MA style. What are the odds that as a Krav Maga fighter you get into a street fight against a BJJ practitioner?? Very not likely. On the other hand, 90% of the Joe blows outside just rumble in a street fight, and this is where Krav Maga puts its focus, on these guys.

How do you know for sure though? I mean I've seen a lot of MMA schools that are designed so that street fighters would really enjoy being a part of it (not intentionally). And therefore learn BJJ and MT techniques. How do you know there aren't more BJJ people out there who are street fighters?

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

I think Goshinman put it well earlier regarding getting up and defending yourself from the ground but not so much to roll around trying toi submit a guy.

If you look at the wya Krav Maga is taught, basically, when you percieve a threat, you eliminate the threat quickly as possible. For one, you don't know what the other guy knows, he may be trained in BJJ, he may be a boxer, he may have a knife. 2nd, the longer a physical altercation goes on, the higher the chances that you can get hurt.

We do believe strongly in cross training and do alot of it with BJJ guys and wrestlers. It's not so much that we are focusing more on the average "Joe Blow" but that we believe That it is often not practical to go wrestling around with anyone if you dont absolutely have to. I don't want to start one of those grappling vs/ striking arguments here, just that alot more of our defenses are have a strong offense and if you do go to the ground, we do more concentrating on getting back up and escaping a hold more than to turn it into a wrestling match.

If thats true for krav maga and not just haganah then I really want to train in krav maga along with other styles. I much prefer up close and personal standing doing stand up grappling and striking. But, I want to know what to do if it goes to the ground and how to get up fast.

Joshua Brehm

If thats true for krav maga and not just haganah then I really want to train in krav maga along with other styles. I much prefer up close and personal standing doing stand up grappling and striking. But, I want to know what to do if it goes to the ground and how to get up fast. Also I don't necessarily agree with some disarming techniques in KM, if some guy comes up to me to rob me with a gun, I'm going to just give him what he wants, not try to disarm him. Granted though once he turns his back and gun away from me, he's mine, but I don't like the idea of trying to disarm him while he's aiming at me.

Joshua Brehm

Capitol, I think you will find KM very beneficial for you.

As far as the disarming tactics, I know what u are saying, but I dont totally agree with just handing things over. I have been robbed once and I handed my money over and I was lucky that the guy just left with the money. The only problem is, more and more you hear of people handing over what is demanded, only to end up being killed anyway, or sometimes kidnapped.

If a person feels they can get away with just handing over what is demanded, then by all means do so My Krav/F.I.G.H.T, instructor days support that IF and only IF you really feel the person will leave afterwards, you must learn to read body language. Is the person seeming like he is in a hurry to take your wallet and run? or is he relaxed, arrogant, ect..

By not giving him what he wants, you hold at least some control in the situation. by handing over your wallet, keys or whatever, you now are giving him the option of demanding something else, or possibly just deciding to kill you. I am not sure I want to passivly Just hand over my money and then give him the option of killing/kidnapping me or worse. The disarming tactics are actually pretty effective. Once you start your training u will get to practice them first hand and then decide personally what your take on the practice is. Best thing is to enter with an open mind.

At my school we are phasing out Krav more for Haganah simply because it has everythign Krav Has and then some. Also in Haganah, you get trained in rotations rather than going through levels, so you will be exposed to more sooner.