• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*sigh* :)

well, these are the differences that I am comfortable explaining...

HISTORY. They both were developed by different persons and went through their own evolutionary process to what we have today.

TECHNIQUES. This is where we really differ from each other. From the krav videos I've seen and from speaking wiht my instructors I know for a fact we simply train in different techniques when addressing the same types of attacks. For example, I am aware that Krav deals with edged weapons defence differently than MD. They teach that when trapping the weapon-hand to grab at the wrist as it is the smallest part of that area and the easiest to take hold of. MD otoh teaches to grab the weapon-hand ITSELF thus preventing the attacker from transferring the weapon from one hand to the other. They also work the CLINCH differently than we do. There are many small but critical differences b/t our systems - enough differences that just by watching a Krav guy and a MD guy execute techniques you would be able to notice the differences.

I know you were probably wanting mroe details with this comparison. Unfortunately, I am not a Krav expert. I only knwo what i researched during that phase in my journey when I was looking for a mroe practical system for SD. Krav definitely came up in my research. I simply ended up deciding to train in MD.

As I said earlier, we're brother systems as far as I am concerned. Their *objectives* for dealing with street violence is pretty much on par with ours - more so than compared to other systems out there, TMA or MMA or otherwise.

Hope that helps...

be safe,

CQB

In today's world there are people who will try to victimize you or a loved one. No reality check is as frightening nor as powerful as when one becomes a victim of criminal violence. At this point it isn't about winning or losing - it's about surviving. Train to survive. Modern Defendo - CQB.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the responses. There is no KM training in the immediate area that I can find, being that I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere. I may hold off on that for now and stick with getting the basics of BJJ down for now. When I finish school I may move to an area where KM is regularly available, and if so may take it up.

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride, and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." -Alabama Coaching Legend Paul "Bear" Bryant.

it might not be a bad idea to get some authentic KM videos to get yourself accustomed to the style. Normally I would say stay away from vids, but in this case it might be far better to get them so you know some one man drills or w/e for when you join.

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

• 2 weeks later...

My instructors are slowly beginning to shift us more towards Haganah which is almost identical to Krav Maga, yet adds to it. It also has some different training methods. It is a slightly superior system.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

• 2 weeks later...

Krav maga is a good self defense art, but I think it's better for immediate learning of self defense, I'd put my money on a person studying krav maga for 2 years over someone in okinawan karate for 2 years, but if I changed it to both practitioners had 10+ years of experience, I'd put my money on the Okinawan Karateka no doubt. Plus Krav Maga doesn't put teaching into "in case you get taken to the ground" techniques.

I mean, I'm never going to take someone to the ground for my own self protection (law enforcement yes, but not self defense) but it'd good to be able to know what to do if you get taken down to the ground.

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

Yeah, Krav actually has a pretty cool ground program. Its like BJJ plus striking and all kinds of things you wouldn't be allowed to do in MMA.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!