• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tell me what you know-Krav Maga

Krav maga is a good self defence art but its really not that impressive vs other martial arts, if you do BJJ and are good then you can probably beat the Krav Maga instructor( it only takes a couple months to get instructor permit) i would go with Muay Thai.

Fist visible Strike invisible

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with Muaythaiboxer, krav maga is good to learn quickly how to defend yourself, but it's not the best. If you don't mind learning a little slower, but overall better, I'd go with MT. If it's a real MT gym then you're sure to get a hell of a lot of physical training as well as martial arts. MT requires a lot of strength and speed (MA wise, not like benching 300 or w/e), so you will probably also get a better workout with MT than KM.

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

Of course, I'm not disrespecting krav maga, it's a great system, but it appears to be better for the user when the user wants to learn how to defend himself and learn quickly, whereas with MT it takes a bit longer, but the end result is much more devestating. I'd deffinately place my money on a true muay thai intstructor when fighting a krag maga instructor.

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

No Prob, I didnt think you were disrespecting Krav. ;)

As far as whether or not a BJJ instructor would beat a Krav instructor is of course, subject to debate. If the BJJ guy where to get the Krav guy on the ground, I would definately say that BJJ has the upperhand. However if the BJJ instructor would not be able to match the striking skills of the KM instructor, then he may indeed have some probs. My Krav instructor is a firm believer in cross training I think the two styles combined would be an awesome combination. :karate:

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

Um, sorry, I believe I said Muay Thai, not BJJ. My money is on a certified MT instructor when up against a certified KM instructor.

Joshua Brehm

• 4 weeks later...

Krav is a military combative. Practioners train to be able to fend off a street assault. They use their hands and feet much like in Muay Thai (since we're comparing the two systems). They box, they use elbow strikes, knee strikes, low line round house kicks, etc.

But... Krav also addresses weapons defences vs edged, blunt, and side arms... as well as multiple opponents... all with the STREET application in mind.

MT can be used on the street - it has that side effect even though it is a (devestating) sport system. And if you train in hard core MT you WILL be training WITHIN their rules. No biting, no eye gouging, no pulling hair, no groin shots, etc.

The original post explained his priority is street defence. Therefore I recommend he look into the Krav a little bit more. If it is a good school then he will be able to reap the benefits of a complete system that is geared for the application of his choice: the streets, instead of taking a great sport system like MT which CAN be used on the street but not really by design.

Either way both systems will definitely compliment your BJJ. Just remember to fight dirty!! :)

Be safe,

CQB

ps. those in the knwo would consider Modern Defendo (which is another military combative system) and Krav "brother" systems. They are NOT the same - not even close - but they share similar "intentions".

In today's world there are people who will try to victimize you or a loved one. No reality check is as frightening nor as powerful as when one becomes a victim of criminal violence. At this point it isn't about winning or losing - it's about surviving. Train to survive. Modern Defendo - CQB.