• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tell me what you know-Krav Maga

I have just begun to study BJJ. I enjoyed my first lesson. But I also want to completement my training in BJJ with a stand up art.

I have looked in Muay Thai which seems to be a good choice. But I also got interested in Krav Maga by glancing through a book about it tonight. It seems to use elbows, kicks and punches, and have good self defense technique.

How effective is it? Will it complement BJJ well? How well rounded is it? Tell me everything that would be relevent as far as becoming familar with the techniques of the art.

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride, and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." -Alabama Coaching Legend Paul "Bear" Bryant.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well rounded standup..mostly street self defense oriented...I would do KM if you are more intrested in self defense and MT if you want it more for sport.

I was looking through a KM book at the bookstore and it looked pretty good... the title was something like self-defense against armed assailants or something like that. Because I have never actually done KM or BJJ, I can't answer you question, but if you want to do both, don't hold back.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

I believe the quality of standup instruction you're going to get depends on the instructor from that school- I've seen many people who own karate/ TKD schools cross train in Krav for a few months and suddenly they're an instructor in it. That being said, you'll get good standup instruction if the instructor himself has had good experience and good exposure.

Its almost like asking about whether or not BJJ has good footlocks- if you train under Lloyd Irvin, you'll learn some good ones. If you train under Royce Gracie, most likely you wont be as adept at them.

If you've already got BJJ, I'd compliment it with some Muay Thai.

Try out both for a while and see which you think works best for you. If you're more competition orientated then go with MT.

Make sure that you find a decent KM instructor, though - ask around and check out credentials before you fully commit to a place.

Good luck!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Try out both for a while and see which you think works best for you. If you're more competition orientated then go with MT.

Make sure that you find a decent KM instructor, though - ask around and check out credentials before you fully commit to a place.

Good luck!

I think that self defense is what I am looking for. Most of the guys I am going to do BJJ with are more in it for sport and are therefore interested in training in MT and Western Boxing for stand up. My goals are different, I think.

I see BJJ as being useful for self defense or sport, but only effective in one on one situations, and not as effective against multiple opponents. A well rounded stand up art would be good for that, IMO.

Thanks for the heads up about instructors.

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride, and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." -Alabama Coaching Legend Paul "Bear" Bryant.

I enjoy Krav, I have done other types of TMA and in a serious SD situation I would much sooner fall back on Krav. Like with all fight styles and TMA, make sure you find a GOOD instructor and you will learn plenty. Krav in much more geared towards real world confrontations than alot of TMA. Just my opinion though of course.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

wing chun will compliment bjj greatly . honestly in my opinion it copliments most arts.

Displays a small graphic image below your details in posts. Only one image can be displayed at a time, its width can be no greater than 80 pixels, the height no greater than 80 pixels, and the file size no more than 8 KB.

Muay Thai is an excellent striking art, in my opinion (and most everyone's in the know) the best. If your BJJ does stand up (as in clinch, throws, take-downs), and they pretty much all do, you're good to go.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard Krav is the truth! I would love to learn it because you got to be in some sort of shape to do it. Just can't walk in and expect to learn this without breaking your body down.

"What's your style?"

"My style?"

"You can call it the art of fighting without fighting."