• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Speaking as a man in training with Budo Taijutsu, I can say that we pretty much do everything. Striking, grappling, throws, ground fighting, etc. As far as submissions below the waist, we've learned a few kneebars and footlocks... a couple REALLY footlocks.

But you have to be cautious when learning because the ankle is very vulnerable given the proper circumstances.

"In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence, the Way has existence, spirit is nothingness."

-The Book of the Void (A Book of Five Rings)

"Men don't start fights, but they do finish them."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say that JJJ has a lot of techniques that aren't very practical, I'm much more impressed with Judo. I don't believe they have much if anything in the way of anklelocks and all that. Go look at BJJ, you won't be dissapointed.

Is this in regards to grappling or fighting in general?

"Beware the fury of a patient man."

- John Dryden

People who can't make JJ techniques work with a resisting opponent don't understand what JJ is about. Just cause it takes a high level of skill and understanding to use JJ doesn't mean it's not practical. Yeah, there are easier ways of doing things, but you are also more vulnerable to other things. The only way to truly understand JJ is to emerse yourself in it, otherwise opinions are just that.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

The key is learning to use speed, not strength. Tensing and power is for blocking attacks. Using relaxed strikes and velocity on them is certainly not something your mind is used to, so it takes awhile to be proficient.

"In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence, the Way has existence, spirit is nothingness."

Teaching people that strength comes from not resisting is a concept most people can't wrap their minds around.

Teaching people that strength comes from not resisting is a concept most people can't wrap their minds around.

Resisting a technique is a sure way to get yourself hurt badly if it's executed properly. Hence the relevance of those techniques on the street.

Amazing art we are in my friend.

Amazing art we are in my friend.

Oh I know. I just did a series of live goes today, with strikes "kept to a minimum" but it was intense. I'm so busted up but it was fantastic training.

Nice. Have you noticed that it's getting rougher now? I'm getting beat up every class.

Nice. Have you noticed that it's getting rougher now? I'm getting beat up every class.

I've just started really getting into it now. Meaning, once you do your green belt test and pass, and so do a handful of other guys at your dojo... business picks up. Hell, I even had a 14 oz black gi get ripped down the seam. It was an easy fix, took all of 15 seconds with a sewing machine, but I mean damn I took a hard throw.

We've started training on the sand and on the grass on occassion. My shins are completely black and blue with nice sized welts and the underside of my arms are pretty bruised. My right knee doesn't extend fully most of the time, but that's not a serious situation, I just strained a ligament. No tear no sprain, so I keep going.

I FEEL pretty good though, except right after training. Then I am totally exhausted. I'm sure you are further along in training, and frankly I can't wait for that. But since I'm a bigger guy (6'2" 230) it's tougher to launch me across the room. But to the smaller guys, they are going flying these days.