• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

One thing to keep in mind about JJJ:

It wasn't meant to be an art in and of itself. It was used as an auxillary art when your main weapon wasn't available for whatever reason. Most of the time you were looking to stab someone in the carotid or subclavian with a dagger or cleave them with a sword.

So locking out an ankle doesn't help you get to the head. Where if you hit somebody or stab them in the head you could do some serious damage. So some JJJ training doesn't really focus as heavily on those techniques. Why lock out an ankle when you could put someone in a kesa gatame and punch them in the head or thrust a dagger through their neck?

But back to your question, DZR has plenty of ankle and knee locks in the system. You can sit and train them from many different angles. Someone mentioned Sambo as a good reference and that is true. Also look into Russian Martial Art.... they have lots of good locks as well.

Ben

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most JJJ styles teach no foot/ankle locks at all. But you most likely will learn some calf crushes and other stuff that mess with the pressure points in the leg area.

As for classical jujitsu not working it all depends on your objectives. It may not work on a trained BJJ or Judo stylist but it sure as heck will work in the streets and in some cases I prefer the JJJ way to do a technique over the Judo/Bjj way. An example is the rear naked choke. In bjj you will be taught to put your hooks in to make for better control. In JJJ they teach the old knee in the spine version. On the mat I prefer the modern way. But on the streets There is no way on God's green earth that I'm laying on the ground with my legs Grapevined or figure 4'd around my opponent. I will do the knee in the spine version even though it's less secure because you can disengage quickly if you have to. In other words, LEARN BOTH WAYS!!!

I'm only going to ask you once...