• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well I started Judo and am really enjoying it,Espcially being primarily a striker through my MA career,Tha one thing however I didn't like is that there is no submissions or locks below tha waist,which is cool I don't mind,HOwever can someone tell me is Japanese Jujutsu/Jujitsu teaches kneebars,anklelocks exc.

ISAIAH 53:5

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is most JJJ schools will focus very little on leg locks, although they are taught.

You best bet for learning leg lock swould be sambo or bjj.

My guess is most JJJ schools will focus very little on leg locks, although they are taught.

You best bet for learning leg lock swould be sambo or bjj.

Well, if you want to be anal about what we call things, hes better off with submission wrestling- not BJJ (sub wrestling = no gi, BJJ = gi).

In Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, you're only allowed to do a straight footlock until brown belt level. Just about any school that offers sub wrestling or BJJ will often offer the other.

I like tha Japanese arts,It's really no big deal,I was just wondering if JJJ taught any submission below tha waist at all,I've thought about a little BJJ before,but tha schools here are so freaking expensive.

ISAIAH 53:5

In Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, you're only allowed to do a straight footlock until brown belt level. Just about any school that offers sub wrestling or BJJ will often offer the other.

I think most schools allow everything but heelhooks in training, mine does.

As far as tournaments most of the ones i have seen allow straight footlocks for white belt, foot lock-kneebar for blue, and foot lock, knee bar and toe hold for purple and up.

I think most schools allow everything but heelhooks in training, mine does.

As far as tournaments most of the ones i have seen allow straight footlocks for white belt, foot lock-kneebar for blue, and foot lock, knee bar and toe hold for purple and up.

You'll get shot if you're seen doing anything other than a straight footlock at my school (training with the gi of course). No gi, you're pretty much allowed to do the kneebars, figure four footlock and straight footlock, but no heel hooks at all.

As far as tournaments go, I have seen some that are allowing straight kneebars as well for white belt divisions and up (along with straight footlocks). These are usually NAGA events, although Grapplers Quest may have also just begun to allow them as well.

I usually go by CBJJ rules, which means straight footlocks only up until brown belt level. I saw someone in the purple belt division of last years Pan Ams kneebar someone after fighting for about 3 minutes to get out of a triangle- his team and friends were jumping up and down for a great victory, but the look on the other guys face (and the refs) was priceless.

"Hey, nice kneebar....... You're disqualified."

I will say it is pretty easy to get injuried by ankle locks. I have personally had my ankle cracked by a Toe hold and have heard way too many horror stories about heel hooks to even want to roll with them..the only time i do is when im rolling with some of the mma fighters.

Edited by TJS

I can't answer for all JJJ styles, but my school does focus on that prettu much as anything else, though it may take a few belt levels to get to those techniques.

To condemn the art of another is to condemn your own as well. We all have the same origin.

I have to say that JJJ has a lot of techniques that aren't very practical, I'm much more impressed with Judo. I don't believe they have much if anything in the way of anklelocks and all that. Go look at BJJ, you won't be dissapointed.