• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hangetsu Bunkai Video

Sho-ju

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have the Kenneth Funakoshi series with it in it.

What moves are giveing you trouble. I would be happy to walk though the kata with you and look at differant applications.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Our Hangetsu is very slow and under dynamic tension for the first half (very Naha) and then explodes into action, (very Shorei), and I like it a lot.

Always willing to get a new take on things - I hope you guys do your exchange here!

Ted I will be happy to go into the teaching of it here. lol all you have to do is ask.

Much like you said Hangetsu starts very slow and explodes durring the second half. Very nice kata.

Name Hangetsu means Half moon. This can stand for the stance or for the circular moves found in the kata. (moves such as the slow outside blocks, double knife and ridge hand blocks and the cressant kick at the end)

Ok few things to keep in mind. Anytime a move is done slow it is to show power. Yes their is the breathing you must look at as well but the focus is power. Hangetsu is a very strong kata.

1st Opeing series - outside blocks and reverse punch x 3.

Basic teaching blocking a punch and counter the attacker.

Expanded teaching focus on the stance. A Hangetsu stance allows you to protect your knee from a low kick (because the knee is bent) Thus your blocking or taking a leg kick and or blocking a punch as well before you counter.

Nature outlook. You are symbolic of the sun and moon as it goes across the sky. The moves are slow and silent without much change but both contain much power. The sun with its heat AKA YOUR FIST the moon with graviety the TIDES your stance.

Grapple outlook. Its hard to write this but simple to show before you do the block you are grabbing the persons arm and the block is a break and the punch allows you to triangle the perosn arm.

2nd set of moves - one knuckle punch, x block, doulbe outside, double low.

Basic teaching - you punch the guy in the chest with one knuckly he then strike back at you with an overhead strick prob a weapon you do an X blcok, he then swings from the side you outside block he then swings low wich you block as well.

Expanded teaching - this is not 3 blocks but on move which goes onto the turn and becomes a throw. If you look at any akkido you will see the redirection of a persons energy. Hangetsu gives us a little of that. The one knuckly punch is a push as much as it is a strike. We do block the hand but then proceed to push and pull the attacker when we shift hand postions. (again hard to explain in type)

Nature - the moon and sun rise and set up and down.

Grapple see expanded

3rd series turn knife and ridge hand blocks and wrist turn x 3

Basic teaching - you turn and face a new attacker he attacks with a kick punch comb and you block. After the block you grab the hand he punched at you with.

Expanded teaching - again this is very akkidoish or hapikiodish. After the frist block and grab you step in and do another imagine you hold onto the arm and as you step in going to the next move you will find this is a break or takedown depending on the arm you have.

Nature - the sun and moon pass each other and this is the eclipse

Grapple - instead of blocking thing of grabbing the innder thigh and udner the arm. The wrist turing is symbolic the entire arms moving like the they do in Kanku Dai. This is a thow (lifting the leg and pushing down on the torso) usually works better by pushing down on the head but no big deal.

4th series of moves - shift outside block and punches in three directions

Basic teaching - block the punch and counter punch

Expanded teaching - you are only working on one guy as opposed to three. Again akkido ideas the outside block is not a block as much as it is you are moveing the guy so you can hit him. THINK back to the last move your grabbed his gi and now your stepping to the side and pushing him you punch him twice but on the third punch you grab him again and push him another direction. and so on. Again a akkido effect.

Nature - the sun and moon can strike quick. Its been a cool cloudy day and then the sun comes out or its the darkest of nights and then the moon shines so you can see. Think of the kata before this how slow and now it explodes.

Grapple - the outside blocks is really an arm scoopy and the punches are not to the chest but the persons back as you spin him after the scoope. (hard to expain)

5th series -spinng leg turn block, crossover front snap, down block, punch rising block.

basic - you turn to find another attack you step in and kick him he then counter kicks which you block and then you punch and he punches back wich you block.

expanded - the last rising block is a strike under the chin not a block at all. the down block is a groin strike not a block at all, the front kick was a fake to open up the groin on the down block. Other applications for traditional moves.

Nature - same idea sort of the sun and moon are dancing behind clounds slow and fast power and speed.

Grapple - the down block goes to the leg, the rishing block goes to the side of the head and as you turn you pick them up and slam them. (yes i know the arms come back after each move but the lifting and turning in this kata are profound so I think this is a very good idea to practice)

6th and final series the pessing block with the cressant kick, punch and cat stance block.

basic - one guy is left he punches or thrust at you with a knife you deflect it and kick him which knocks him down then you pucn him on the ground. As you hit him he tries to kick you and you catch his foot with your hands in the cat stance.

Expanded - the pressing block is a backhand strike, the cressant kick is a sweep, the final move is you striking the downed attacked with a doulbe palm strike.

Nature - After a long hard days work both the sun and moon go down to rest.

Grapple - the pressing block circles arround the guys head, the cressant kick is a foot sweep. As you go down you land on the attacker. YOu punch your way off him and control him with the doulbe palm at the end.

SORRY about the typos I did not proof read. This is just my interpurtation after 12 years of study in shotokan karate. I have read all of Gichin Funakoshi's books, and others. I have also trained is some other arts. Am I right? who knows but its an art so thats what works for me. Any questions I will be happy to try and explain. Again I know its choppy. Pic is worth a 1000 words right..... lol

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Has anyonce come across the wider stance that they seem to be using in Europe, I learned Hangetsu with Zanchin dachi but now I'm seeing a very wide sort of kiba dachi stance but with knees sort of in a bit. I know I'm not explaining that well, but it's starting to become very prevalent... anyone know any reasons for this?

--

Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

Hangetsu is my favourite kata ,it is a close quarter kata therefore hengetsu dachi is used throughout .

If you want a good intructional video of hangetsu I recommend you get in touch with shotokan of england karate union tape by sensie Hazard (my instructer by the way !) his applications and demonstration of this kata is the best I have seen .you may think I am biased (I am !) but once you see this tape ,you will be too !! :wink:

their web site : https://www.seku.ndo.co.uk

never give up !

Sensei Hazard? Is that Sensei Dave Hazard by any chance?

If so, I've trained with him - great bloke.

I once had an agonising lesson on Sochin kata with him. I don't think my legs have been the same since. :P

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Sensei Hazard? Is that Sensei Dave Hazard by any chance?

If so, I've trained with him - great bloke.

I once had an agonising lesson on Sochin kata with him. I don't think my legs have been the same since. :P

Yes ! it sure is sensie Dave Hazard ,I have had the honour of being his student for the last 20 years.

never give up !