• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please answer the questions posted by the thread starter directly and stay on topic. Thank you.

For those of you who are not Masters, what makes a Master in your eyes? What are the qualities/characteristics of a Master? How long do you think you have until you become a Master?

20 years is a guideline only for a seriously talented person.

I know that GM Villari (Shaolin Kempo) does not give out 5ths to just anyone. I don't know any that are under 40, but I have heard of a few, but even they had almost 20 years in. To test for black, you have to be at least 16 and that could take from 3.5-7 years. Even then time is no guarantee for a rank.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

"For those of you who are not Masters, what makes a Master in your eyes? What are the qualities/characteristics of a Master? How long do you think you have until you become a Master? "

Someone who is in control of their body and their mind, has a high level of ability to control another's body, and understands and is able to use the underlying principles of their art.

"I know that GM Villari (Shaolin Kempo) does not give out 5ths to just anyone. I don't know any that are under 40, but I have heard of a few, but even they had almost 20 years in. To test for black, you have to be at least 16 and that could take from 3.5-7 years. Even then time is no guarantee for a rank."

Not to be rude, but isn't this the guy that mails you videos on how to become a black belt, and then gives you one without ever meeting you in person?

Fetch Daddy's blue fright wig! I must be handsome when I unleash my rage.

Not to be rude, but isn't this the guy that mails you videos on how to become a black belt, and then gives you one without ever meeting you in person?

I'm not a fan of the video concept by any means, but you actually you have to test for each rank. It may not in the marketing fine print but that's how it works. There is another guy that will give you rank with the DVD without ever having to test in front of anyone. He will remain nameless. (Sorry for being off topic.)

Someone who is in control of their body and their mind, has a high level of ability to control another's body, and understands and is able to use the underlying principles of their art.

Good response, I would add that they should have the highest level of understanding and application along with a contibution to the arts through dedication, teaching, etc. It can't just be someone who knows what they are doing.

im 21 and i hold a 5th degree black belt in shaolin kempo.

Sorry, but I don't believe you. Unless you started training before you could walk, it would be difficult to make 5th by 21. Please PM me your name, your instructor's name, and the organization you're with so that I can verify it.

Personally, I've never met anyone who has used the videos as anything more than a supplement to in-class training. My guess is that the vast majority of the purchasers of the videos are current (or former) students at his schools. It may not be how the video's are marketed, but that is what they're being used for most of the time.

Red J, fair enough, I like those additions. While I don't think of teaching is a *requirement,* it is something that helps them and the art.

For both Red J and octopic, ok, fair enough. There was just a thread awhile back where people were saying you learned from this guy and earned your rank with just sending him money and videos of yourself, so I wasn't sure what it was like.

Fetch Daddy's blue fright wig! I must be handsome when I unleash my rage.

Red J, fair enough, I like those additions. While I don't think of teaching is a *requirement,* it is something that helps them and the art.

Agreed, and by teaching it can be as simple as passing down the art not necessarily teaching in having or owning a school.

Being a Master IMO is about understanding and would have nothing to do with running a school or the number of students.

Think of Yoda is star wars lol

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."