• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

uppercuts - feel more natural then hooks n' crosses

Hey. Am I the only one who thinks uppercuts feel more natural then hooks and crosses? I'd always heard people say the opposite.

"I like the idea of repeatedly sticking my knee in someone's face without threat of lawsuit." - me

Start mma training soon. (bjj, muay thai, boxing)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hey. Am I the only one who thinks uppercuts feel more natural then hooks and crosses? I'd always heard people say the opposite.

In a fight i saw once (during a football match) a person from my team with no real training, grabbed one of the opposition players with one hand and repeatedly "uppercutted" him. I say "uppercutted" because it was more of a wild swinging motion than a proper uppercut.

What im trying to say, is that the motion of the uppercut may be instictive to some people and therefore they may find it more "natural" than other punching techniques.

In saying that, i dont find the technique of a proper uppercut any more or less natural than other punching techniques because they all take time and practice to perform correctly.

In a fight i saw once (during a football match) a person from my team with no real training, grabbed one of the opposition players with one hand and repeatedly "uppercutted" him. I say "uppercutted" because it was more of a wild swinging motion than a proper uppercut.

Heheh. I'm not doing that, and I had to work on it a bit to get the form right. It just feels a lot more natural then the others. And a lot more natural the a wild "uppercut." :)

Thanks for the replies,

"I like the idea of repeatedly sticking my knee in someone's face without threat of lawsuit." - me

Start mma training soon. (bjj, muay thai, boxing)

part of the reason uppercuts are "unnatural" is cause they dont practice the enough. for example they are hard to do on the heavy bag, mitt holder ussaly negect them.

each gym the fighters have a differnt flavor but by and large my gym the guys dont throw many uppercuts.

a very effective shot. great for in close.

for me its the hook with my right hand i can not remember the last time i threw one to the head it just doesnt feel natural at all i always throw it off my left

Strive to Become The Type Of Person That Others Do Not Normally Encounter In This World

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.

part of the reason uppercuts are "unnatural" is cause they dont practice the enough. for example they are hard to do on the heavy bag, mitt holder ussaly negect them.

each gym the fighters have a differnt flavor but by and large my gym the guys dont throw many uppercuts.

a very effective shot. great for in close.

I see waht you're saying, but disagree. they are unnatural because they are unnatural. humans have a natural tendency to throw straight punches and haymakers. watch to small kids with no training whatsoever - they attempt straight punches, haymakers and cat like pawing motions. you have to program an uppercut into you - force it to become as close to natural s possible.

As for training the uppercut, you HAVE to remember to put it into focus mitt drills. If someone is feeding me and doesn't feed them, I'll say "don't forget uppercuts", so that they will feed them. on the heavy bag, simulate the motion, but don't hit the bag. I throw them, making sure my forearm is parallel with the bag - like it would be if it were done properly. Also, they make small bags that are intended for training them. Ringside actually has a heavybag that is cylindrical like normal, but the top of it portrudes out and has various surfaces so that you can properly work hooks and uppercuts on it. The Bob bags are decent as well, as it gives a better simulation of actually hitting a chin.

yeah i love the uppercut bags there my fave

Strive to Become The Type Of Person That Others Do Not Normally Encounter In This World

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.