• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Osae a.k.a "Pressing"

Skeptic 2004

This is sort of a whimsical question:

Is anyone else familiar with the concept of "osae" or "pressing"? My current instructor has been hounding me on this concept, as his teacher (Chosin Chibana) hounded him on this concept. Personally, I believe "there's nothing new under the sun", and I have my doubts as this being solely a Chibana-ism. Thus, I was wondering if any other karateka outside the Chibana lineage (not to discount those inside the Chibana lineage...your thoughts are welcome as well) have ever heard of osae and wouldn't mind explaining how they understand it.

Do you know who Chosin Chibana is...?

The Chibana Project:

http://chibanaproject.blogspot.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I thought osae ment , seziure or to seize? I believe that is a japanese term such as mune osae dori or nidan osae dori unless i'm not understanding your question correctly.

Why punch someone when their on the ground when you can just kick them

Is anyone else familiar with the concept of "osae" or "pressing"?

Yes, in our style we do a technique called osae uke (pressing block).

My current instructor has been hounding me on this concept,

Maybe you could explain in more depth what he is "hounding" you about and his interpretation of the concept.

I didnt think that the osae concept was that "deep" or something that needed to be repeatedly talking about, but it obviously must be if your teacher is hounding you about it.

In the basic sense i dont see that the osae concept needs much explaining, but if your refering to the application of "pressure" in terms of forward momentum and disruption while in close range then that may also fall into the osae category and require a more in depth explanation of the technique.

HI

I trained with the recently late Sensei Kase who used Osae very often, I think it's better understood if seen as a passage to another technique. Generally osae was used to bring the opponent in closer as the force of the 'press' generally brought the torso forward for another technique. Of course it can also be used as a transition to a grab or lock.

Also worth looking at the weight position during and after the technique, there is a transfer of power that is very interesting. I saw this with Sensei Kase and was amazed by the amount of power that was focused on a small area.

--

Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

Just to clarify (and Skeptic2004 can correct me if I'm wrong), he's not talking about a "press" in terms of a specific technique (like osae uke or osae dori). It's more of a principle dealing with the application of force or something carried through in every technique, rather than being a technique in and of itself.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Shorin Ryuu is correct; osae is not a technique. It is a principle (I coined the term concept in the first post). As I understand it, it is a constant forward projection of your hara/tanden/diantien/center that applies a constant forward presence towards your opponent, even in retreat. This constant press from your hara extends to your limbs while blocking, punching, kicking, or grappling.

Sandan touched on a very valid point in that my instructor stresses osae the most during transition from one move to the next. Osae is key during transitional movement....though I'm having trouble maintaining osae when I move...:-(

My instructor focuses on the full osae, though he maintains that Chibana had actually mastered the half osae, a much more difficult application of the principle. I'm just starting to grasp the full osae, so my explanation of the half osae is probably even more dubious; please excuse me. The half osae, as I barely understand it, is just as powerful/effective as the full osae but requires less effort. It's just that it's incredibly difficult to do correctly since it is highly dependent on rhythm and timing; this varies from kata to kata, and in combat from opponent to opponent. Unlike the full osae, there's no heurisitic for the half osae. My instructor admits even after 40 years he still has trouble with the half osae and that Chibana was probably the only person who could do it...

Do you know who Chosin Chibana is...?

The Chibana Project:

http://chibanaproject.blogspot.com

• 2 weeks later...
Shorin Ryuu is correct; osae is not a technique. It is a principle (I coined the term concept in the first post). As I understand it, it is a constant forward projection of your hara/tanden/diantien/center that applies a constant forward presence towards your opponent, even in retreat. This constant press from your hara extends to your limbs while blocking, punching, kicking, or grappling.

So by this, do you mean that powerfull ki rays are being transmitted from your hara to your limbs and then through thin air to your opponent ? How exactly must I interpret this?

I myself am very sceptic about the concept of ki and believe more in scientific explanations.

"Practising karate means a lifetime of hard work."

~Gichin Funakoshi