• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Want to train in Japan

Hello. Ive been saving money because it is my dream to travel to Japan to learn the language, and especially train in Jiu-jitsu and karate. Im also interested in studying calligraphy and looking into the sword arts. I already know I need a cultural visa. But what i need help with is finding a dojo to train in. I dont think I can obtain a cultural visa unless i have proof im training in a dojo. I also know when I go there I can automatically recieve a temporary visa valid for 90 days. While I have that I could search for a dojo then turn my temp visa into a cultural visa. But maybe itd be easier if I knew before hand where I could train and contact the instructors beforehand. Any ideas or sugesstion on how to do this?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'd consult with your sensei, who will pass along the request to whomever will know how to get information on dojos in the area you're going to be in. Its how I've been told to find out by my own sensei.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Yes, I agree. You should learn some pretty important phrases well, before going. Like. "Where is the bathroom" and "where is the train"

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

You should learn some pretty important phrases well, before going. Like. "Where is the bathroom" and "where is the train"

...along with "Ouch Sensei, that really hurt!" and "Owwww, please don't do that again!" :D :lol:

Before you go, make sure that you've read up as much information about living and training in Japan as possible. That way, it won't be (hopefully) as much of a culture shock to you as it could be when you get there.

Good luck!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Check with the nearest large university, and see if they have an active "study abroad" program. If so, they might also have some very good contacts. Although probably not directly related to the Martial Arts, they might be able to get you in touch with good sources for housing, transportation... etc. They might even have someone who has spent time in Japan, that could sit down with you for a bit, and share some observations.

Definitely learn some of the language. It will help you get by more easily, but it also shows a certain level of respect if you have at least tried to learn their language ahead of time (this is exacly why I am learning some basic Japanese).

"Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice."

M.A.S.

A tourist visa lasts 90 days. If you can get all your training done in that time without running out of money, good for you. More than likely, you'll want to stay longer. In that case you'll need a job. How old are you? Many young people go to Japan to be English instructors. It helps but is not necessary to have an English degree. Check out the JET program. If you don't go the English instructor route you'll need marketable skills and fluency in Japanese to get employed.

Finding a dojo will be the least of your problems.

Good luck.

I have been in Japan for about 5 years now, and I absolutely love the country, the life style and the people.

I wasn't sure though whether I would like to live here or not, so when I came the first time I stayed on a tourist visa for 90 days, and then extended it for another 90 days. In the meantime I had found a job and then went back to my home country over Christmas to get a new visa.

If you are interested in learning Japanese I know of a bunch of good websites where you can teach yourself the basics. The below site is quite rich with cultural information and also has a short introduction to the writing system. There are also links to sites where you can look for a job as an English teacher (might be good to earn some money while you're there :brow: )

http://internationaleflcafe.com/japanese.htm

You won't need rules where you're going, mate. You'll need asbestos underpants! 'Cause you're going downstairs, me old cocker! Ooh, the moans. Ooh, the screams. Ooh, the countless billions thrown naked into the pit!

You are not being specific enough, where about are you going, Japan / Nihon is a big place.

I will return to Japan also, when I have the money!

I have studied it for years, everything;

Language

Culture

Religions

Martial arts

Economy

Government

Government is an interesting one, To followers of the Shinto religion The Emperor is said to be a decendent of the Sun god.

Japan is a very interesting place.

The cool summer breeze passes me by.

Rukawa, thanks for the link. I found the website to very informative! Not that I will be speaking the language any time soon!

What is your home country, by the way?

----

Hmm. Hello. This is the floor. How did I get here?