• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Have anyone know if there's a Xinyi Liuhe Quan school in Canada or US? I heard that it's a martial art of the Chinese muslim and even in China the muslim raely ever teach this art to non-Chinese muslims.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Good luck on finding a school. My teacher lives in Michigan. There is also a teacher in Hawaii, and one around L.A. My teacher, Jim Burchfield, had to go live in Shanghai to learn the system. XYLQ is very similar in theory and practice to Xingyiquan. I think you may be able to find some VCDs on the internet of your interested in seeing it.

-David Dempsey-

Good luck on finding a school. My teacher lives in Michigan. There is also a teacher in Hawaii, and one around L.A. My teacher, Jim Burchfield, had to go live in Shanghai to learn the system. XYLQ is very similar in theory and practice to Xingyiquan. I think you may be able to find some VCDs on the internet of your interested in seeing it.

Thanks for your help, since it's similiar to Xingyi so I take that it's an internal style, does it has any relationship to the Xinyi Ba in the Shaolin system?

I heard that Xingyi Liuhe Quan is one of the few Chinese style that's able to match Baji Quan in close quarter combat and some of the moves really looks the same, is that true?

I wouldn't really say that XYLQ is an internal. The method they use to generate power is completely different. While you are correct that it does have some similarities to Baji, the intent is completely different, more along the lines of XYQ. As far as close combat goes, you are the only person who has ever told me that about Baji so I really don't know. There is also no connection between XYLQ and shaolin.

-David Dempsey-

• 2 weeks later...

The School is the American fitness Center, it's around Flint. The teacher is Jim Burchfield and his assistant is Kelvin Stewart. For CMA they teach Xingyi, Xinyi, and Bagua. Unfortunately in the past few years they haven't been teaching CMA as much due to lack of interset in the area. They usually have classes around noon on saturday and sunday. Also if you're interested Jim teaches BJJ. Of all the different schools I've attended I'd say it's one of the better ones. Plus the guys there really know how to fight. Send me a PM if you want the phone number and I'll help you out any way I can.

-David Dempsey-

• 2 months later...

I am not an expert of Xinyi Liuhe Quan, but I know it's history pretty well.

The Xinyi Liuhe Quan (XYLHQ) is brother of Xingyi Quan, they have the same origin, but the styles now are not the same, but similiar. Both are internal style.

The most recent recorded origin of the style was about 300 years ago,

master Ji Longfeng learned this style from some unkown master, and he

exchanged the style with Shaolin temple for YiJinJing(one of the ultimate Chinese internal practices). That's how Shaolin got its XinYi Ba.

Master Ji's disciples are mainly in Shanxi, Hebei and Henan provinces.

The Shanxi and Henan style still call themselves Xinyi Liuhe Quan, and the

Hebei branch turned into Xinyi Quan, which was very successful at the turn

of 19 century. The henan branch only teach the style to muslims.

Later on some masters of the henan branch went to Shanghai and begin to teach the style to non-muslims.

Currently I think you can find very good Xinyi Liuhe Quan masters in Shanghai.