• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

so would u say bjj is one of the best grappling arts?

Definetly one of the best, THE best on the ground in my opinion especially as far as working from your back.

Each style has a part of grappling it specializes at though.

Judo has the most effective throws and takedowns with excellent top control and balance.

Sambo has the focus on leg locks

wrestling has the best No gi takedowns and proabably the best takedown defense.

Aikido has aspects whitch would be excelent for law enforcement etc.

Just my opinions.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BJJ seems like it is an extremely effective MA even when one only knows the basics. One does not need to be a master to be effective with it.

What do yall think?

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride, and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." -Alabama Coaching Legend Paul "Bear" Bryant.

BJJ seems like it is an extremely effective MA even when one only knows the basics. One does not need to be a master to be effective with it.

What do yall think?

Of course- even knowing just a little bit can give you such an edge up on someone if the fight goes to the ground. Fighting on the ground isnt a natrual thing, and most people dont know what to do or how to get to advantageous positions let alone know what they are. Simply having a general sense of direction can help you alot.

In order to advance belts in BJJ do students have to compete or does that just depend on the school?

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

In order to advance belts in BJJ do students have to compete or does that just depend on the school?

To be quite honost, that depends on the practitioner and the instructor. Many instructors (especially in Brazil) are sport oriented and often promote based on tournament experience. This would natrually reflect your level of skill. If you can fight and defeat your peers in your division, you're obviously on another level than them and primed for promotion.

There are other instances however. Not all people do BJJ for competitive purposes and as such instructors often promote them when they see fit (i.e. have shown the level of skill to be the next level). There are also those who do not have a good mindset for competing (its one of the most stressfull things) and as a result dont do well in tournaments, but show their level of skill in the gym.

I do believe one thing is certain- by competing you'll most likely progress through the ranks quicker than not.

Well I reckon that it should take longer to get a black belt in a lot of arts - if you are good then you are good - fair enough. But it should never just be that someone is given a black belt cos they have done x amount of years.

A Black belt used to be such a formidable thing - now adays if you go to enough classes and tick the right boxes you will probably get a black belt in something!

What do you guys think?!

Well I reckon that it should take longer to get a black belt in a lot of arts - if you are good then you are good - fair enough. But it should never just be that someone is given a black belt cos they have done x amount of years.

A Black belt used to be such a formidable thing - now adays if you go to enough classes and tick the right boxes you will probably get a black belt in something!

What do you guys think?!

I think the reason you dont see black belts handed out to undeserving people as much in BJJ is because its much easier to discredit people due to the way sparring is done. Everyone trains, its inevitable in BJJ, so it would be almost impossible to promote someone to black belt if they only had the skills of say, a blue or purple. He would easily be discovered when he would train with his students among others. Theres also alot of ego in BJJ and competition between schools, which is why instructors often hold students back at belt "X" well after hes already proven his dominance in that division. No one wants to be known to produce bad fighters, because that will affect his business.

Take a striking art for instance, I think it would be a lot more difficult to root someone out. Its easy to say "Im too old to spar" or "I might hurt you" because sparring in striking is often going to take a heavier toll on the body than sparring in grappling.

As far as how long it takes, theres a purple belt at my school who's been training for 10 years and just recently recieved that rank. He only trains in the summer time and usually only twice a week because he lives so far away. He said he started when one of the current instructors (who's now a black belt) was a blue belt.