• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just curious,how come it takes paople forever to get a black belt in bjj?I went to check out a school once(the instructors had left) and the highest ranking student took him 4 yr. for his purple belt.By that time in a lot of styles I know u would be a blackbelt already or pretty close if u kept up with your training.So yeah what makes this art so long to master?

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know that seems about right.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

If you ever roll with a BJJ black belt you will understand why.

I cant really give you a good answer without writing an paper except to say if someone has a BJJ black belt then they have some serious skill. I have seen black belts toy with people who have been practicing for years themselves.

On the flipside people have earned a black belt in as little as 3.5 years..but that is the exception rather than the rule.

It's not that you cant learn bjj quickly it that you just continue to learn and improve for years.

The reason that it takes so long to get a black belt in BJJ is the TREMENDOUS AMOUNT of techniques, combinations, and set ups that they have.

If you ever roll with a BJJ black belt you will understand why

"Ditto"

What works works

Where I'm from it takes about 4 years to reach brown belt. Then you have to earn 120 points to have the right to pass your blackbelt. You earn 30 points every year if you simply attend your normal Judo lessons, so for someone doing this it's another 4 years hence a total of 8 years. You can shorten the time between brown and blackbelt by competing and attending seminars (mostly by competing though)

As pineapple stated, theres just way too many techniques in BJJ for you to get so skilled so quickly (quickly = under 5 years).

The addition of the gi jacket add numerous more techniques over other grappling venues such as submission grappling. There are chokes, armlocks, and sweeps that are too numerous to count, and then there are combinations of these. There are also numerous ways to pass someone's guard, submit them from cross side, mount, or back mount, not to mention all the escapes possible from these positions.

Something like Judo I see people get black belts sooner than BJJ, but thats because of the nature of the competition. You dont need to follow the fight to the ground since a perfect throw ends the match. As a result, a competitive Judoka can focus all his effort into throwing skill, which often is the measuring stick for comparing Judoka. This is certainly not to say, however, that there arent Judoka who are exceptional groundfighters, or that havent taken longer to receive their black belt.

well diffrent stlyes do things diffrently..In judo for example a black belt usually means you have a solid understandin of the basics and setups/combinations etc...not a mastery of them like in BJJ.

well diffrent stlyes do things diffrently..In judo for example a black belt usually means you have a solid understandin of the basics and setups/combinations etc...not a mastery of them like in BJJ.
so would u say bjj is one of the best grappling arts?
https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu