• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Have you ever heard about a student failing a belt test?

Bleeding Lion

I've seen my share of dojo that buckle under a demand from a student to test... comments?

I my self have been doing this 26 years and I have failed kyu tests despite the fact that my technique was ready, the rest of me wasn't. The never fail rule is... well insulting. The teacher can show you the door, but its the student who has to walk though it and do it with poise and grace. Tripping and falling though is not passing.

I've seen other's tested and pass who "SHOULD" be shodan ... but their technical ability is not as strong as it could be, but they passed for *softer reasons... One can only hope that they will evenually rise to to challenge.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Osu topic members: You make the call: Do you pass him?

The student is ready for shodan, but has some slight attitude problems. Making faces at Sensei when corrected. Argumentative with respect to proper stances, techniques. Complaining to other members about the instruction, kata being taught, kihon is too kihon, and wanting more kumite. Everyone else is good with the class.

Sensei tells the student that technically he is there, but also politely admonishes the student about the attitude. Student seizas stone-faced not saying a word.

Come test day, the student goes about his usual attitude; even to the point of complaining - even though the fans are on - that the air conditioner should be turned on because it is hot.

After a fairly gruelling three hour exam, technically, the student performs at a fairly suffcient level to consider shodan, but the sempai are split in their opinion when queried by Sensei - citing - well, the attitude problems.

You are the Sensei. Sore ja...You make the call.

Osu.

Kore wa katjikenai.

TS

My instructor talked to us once after a test (not mine, but others) about having an attitude. Not just at a test but in general. He said that he has failed people in the past for attitude, or not allowed people to test (I've seen that).

I guess it would depend on what he did during the test and so forth as far as his attitude. Did he disrupt the test, have a control problem, ect.

I'm not an instructor, so I can't really give you an opinion on that. But if he obviously goes to extremes, yea, I'd fail him if I were your Sensei. Just the little bit that you posted, is disresect on his part. So that would be grounds to dismiss him from the test.

Laurie F

I guess it would depend on what he did during the test and so forth as far as his attitude. Did he disrupt the test, have a control problem, ect.

Osu -- Thank you KK'75 for your response. A few of the things -- whining in general - and smug attitude despite Sensei's gentle reminder before the test to practice humility and respect - moreso, not for this dojo, but after time he would travel likely to return to his native land. At exam - same corrections that Sensei always continuously spoke about to correct him - esp on kihon. Student would reply that he did not have to: (get low, close his fists, do hikite, extend his waza, follow kihon/protocol..etc...as he was no longer a beginner...) Also, giving Sensei disrespectful looks, like..."what are you talking about? I am doing it correctly". The student explaining everything to Sensei about his reasons for waza..criticizing the instruction to others. - and bad influence on kohai. Sempai told him to wait for beer time after class and talk about differences/techniques..etc..but, overall, basically, he had excuse for everything/anything. Other than that, technically proficient, knows kata, good athlete, good speed, kime, understanding of body dynamics, maai, etc...he claimed that he, "did not want to compromise what he thought was right".

Osu.

TS

Takeda Shingen - 武田信玄

Was witness to a similar situation. Three people were testing and one was very smug and has a very distorted perception of his abilities. The testing instructor made no gestures asked them to stand at attention part way through the test and busied himself writting notes... this went on for about 10 minutes all the while the three stood their wondering what the heck was going on. He took a sip of his o'cha and and without looking at the students rose and shook hands with their instructor and handed him a sealed envelope and left never looking at the students. In fact it almost seemed that the students where non-existant. Very calm and matter of fact action.

Teacher didn't have to disipline the student.. the others did.

I wasn't privy to what transpired after that.

My brother studied both Shotokan and Goju- at one exam the Hanshi from the system (don't know which) was present. The guy is about 80 and under 5 feet tall. He normally sat silently, sometimes with his eyes closed on a platform at the head of the dojo. In the middle of one exam when a student spoke... he stood up, walked over to the guy and Kiai'd in the guy's face. Then he walked back to his platform and sat down again.

(Another time when he was visiting he left them in kibadachi for a half hour while he spoke to the instructors outside. He also once kicked my brother in the mouth- to see if he was: a. wearing a mouth guard. b. was aware of his surroundings and c.would execute a block. All three were no.)

ive heard of one child in my school that has failed, he was not serious about the test, he was ready for the rank but dint show that he could handle testing

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

I have seen students failing tests before, and I think that the only reason passing rates would be that high is because instructors don't invite students to test unless they are truly ready.

"The fastest draw is when the sword never leaves the scabbard,

The strongest way to block, is never to provoke a blow,

And the cleanest cut is the one withheld."

"Karate is a defensive art from beginning to end. " - Gichin Funakoshi