• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Freestanding Heavy Bags

I have a Wavemaster, and it serves me well. I'm in college and living in a dorm, so it's nice to pull it out of the corner and be able to push it back without taking much space. Any sort of heavybag is useful if you know how to use it. I recommend developing a workout of some sort that you can stick to. I think it's good for bags to move a bit. How often do you hit someone and they stand completely still? Anyway, as was said before - any bag is better than none.

"Please do not drop your partner like a sack of potatoes. If anything, throw them hard with control." - my instructor

"Your karate is still useless." - my brother as he picks himself up off the floor

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your wave master is filled completly up with water and your knocking it down...then your pushing after the strike to knock it down.

they dont fall over from a strike when filled up completly...not even close

anybody could push it over however with their palm. Kids at my school think they knock it down too, but actually they are pushing it.

A big difference.

say wavemaster is just as good , better really, than a swinging one.

Thus the mass sale of wavemasters today.

Its not the art, its the artist.

I'll agree with the previous post. There is a college-aged male at my school that always pushes the darn thing over, and we have Wavemaster XXL bags. He thinks he's so tough and awesome, but really he is just pushing the thing over after he strikes it. Wavemasters should not fall over.

"Please do not drop your partner like a sack of potatoes. If anything, throw them hard with control." - my instructor

"Your karate is still useless." - my brother as he picks himself up off the floor

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking about getting a wavemaster however it seems you would have to adjust it between practicing punches and lower kicks (such as stomach level). The XXL model seems to ne better suited, but is of course twice as expensive.

You might think that would be true about the adjusting for kicks. If you are tall, it probably would be true. The bag actually works at a level where you can practice high kicks and mid-level kicks. You of course can't practice kicks to the knees, shins, or feet because you would be kicking hard plastic. Ouch. The XXL is probably better suited for a lot of things, but the original does work.

I think the XXL is worth the $$, I like the ability to practice a wide range of techniques without adjusting the bag. If I had to choose, I would get a 6 ft. freestanding bag with a tiedown on the bottom, but I can't do that where I live, so the XXL is a great alternative.

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

• 2 weeks later...

My biggest complaint used to be the way that wavemaster moves around on my carpet.

Now I just chase the thing and move around it.

I agree with the "pushing vs. striking". It shouldn't fall over.

If you want an economic bag, the Wavemaster is great.

The game of chess is much like a swordfight; you must think before you move.

We bought a wavemaster about a month ago. I certainly does move around alot on the tile floor in my basement. But then that forces me to move around the thing in order to keep in relatively centered. And in doing that, it helps me think about and practice my footwork.