• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Technique Names in your Art

Kenpo-Sloth

In your style, do you have many techniques?? :-?

Are the names hard to remember?? :-?

Do you have code words or naming conventions?? :-?

A technique by any other name, would it hurt as much??

Kenpo Training may not be a Lifetime Journey, but it's Definitely the Journey of a Lifetime!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In your style, do you have many techniques?? :-?

Depends on how you count the techniques.

Are the names hard to remember?? :-?

No, if you know the language a bit. After all, learning languages is rather easy.

Do you have code words or naming conventions?? :-?

What? Not that I know one.

A technique by any other name, would it hurt as much??

Technique names do not really mean all that much. They're simply describing the technique, after all.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Technique names do not really mean all that much. They're simply describing the technique, after all.

Excellent point, in our system ACKKS, techniques are used to teach us various principals of motion and power, however I was hoping to learn a little about other system's techniques. :roll:

Kenpo Training may not be a Lifetime Journey, but it's Definitely the Journey of a Lifetime!!

The American instructors of Isshin ryu were reportedly told to teach in english. As such, there is little that needs to be learned in the understanding of the names.

On that point, anyone out there know of a listing of the Okinawan names for Isshin ryu techniques? I can find untold numbers of Japanese names, but nothing identifying itself as the Okinawan dialect.

"Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice."

M.A.S.

We are also instructed in english. However, most of the time, our sensei will give the japanese name for a technique along with it's english name. This way (eventually) we'll learn both names to the technique simply through repetition.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

Yep, that's exactly how things are done at my dojo.

Kenpo-Sloth, in response to your questions:

-Yes, I would say so.

-Sometimes; it depends on the name.

-Not that I know of, but we have alternate ways of referring to a name. For example, instead of "maewashi geri," we'd just say, "roundhouse kick."

-He he. Probably. :P

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

My system uses basic terminology for the basic techniques, but doesn't get held up over cataloguing the name of every technique, as we focus more upon principles than specific technique.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

We use english names and all of the set techniques are incredibly simple, names like Combonation 1, or White Belt Kempo 1, or Front-Two hand grab....

Even our forms are simple english names, 1 Kata, Mantis, Cat 3, White Tiger 1...

After all, set techniques are really just to teach principles, the names don't really have to be ellaborate or that much in detail IMO.

"To win a fight without fighting, that is the true goal of a martial artist."

-Grandmaster Nick Cerio

Yeah, you could say we have a lot of techniques. Then, you might not, as they're really hard to make an idea of where one technique stops and the other begins, it all flows together, which is precisely what makes it so hard to learn.

The names aren't hard for me to remember. Then, I sit down and study the packet of Japanese to English terms closely enough I know stuff I won't need to know for several tests yet.

Code words? Well, not really, but on zenkutsu-dachi, most that have been there a while will just call it zen, kokutsu-dachi, kokuts, stuff like that. Is it really code names though?

I could care less what the name of the technique is. I know some techniques that I can't remember the name of for the life of me, but I know the technique hurts, badly. I couldn't use my arm for the next day after one of these in particular, but I think that's my partner's fault....everyone else seemed relatively okay....

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

:roll: Thank you everyone, your replies are very interesting!! Keep them coming

I thought other systems used code words like we do in Kenpo, it helps me to remember and gives a tiny bit of insight into what an unknown technique will be doing or defending against.

Here are a couple links listing code words for Kenpo techniques:

First Link

Second Link

I do agree with you, technique names are not important, but I try to associate certain technique names with certain principals they teach:

Delayed Sword - Marriage of Gravity

A technique name creates a picture of motion in my head

:-? WELL SOMETIMES IT DOES!!!

so all I have to do is think Delayed Sword when trying to graft things together and at my foundation rank, I need all the help I can get!!! :D