• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Benefits of being left-handed?

It is a good topic, our sensei takes us through drills to block/counter left-handed techniques as well as right-handed ones. Its a good aspect of our training.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all the 'learned' sparring I do is with my senseo and he switches left to right all the time. So I never really thought of it. I guess in most situations I just switch too.

I'm trying to work on combos I could use in either scenario tho.

Kanpai!

I fight southpaw and i find that it does throw off most right handed fighters a little. A good fighter will simply change their stance to southy when the opponent comes out left sided. But in some instances, the south paw has the advantage. The last tournement i was in, a guy was(who was a righty) kept throwing these spinning back kicks at me. He missed every one becuase he was used to fighting right handed people. Of corse he could have just had some pretty bad aim, but i dought it considering he was a higher belt. I love fighting southy, but i also try and train right handed aswell. Its a good idea to get both stances trained but because you never know when you will have to switch them in a fight. Hope i helped answer your question :) .

I know that when i fight, I like to be in left leading cause my reverse punch then is from my strong hand and also my strong kick. I switch it up constantly though to try to catch them off guard... it works pretty good for me

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We find it is a bit weird with people who favour their left leg - obviously doing TKD....

but i guess it doesnt really give you any advantages, becuase any gains you get from it - they mirror through stance and get teh same advantage from you... if you see whati mean

• 4 weeks later...

i'm left handed to and i can imagine it would come as a surprise to most people because when we do drills at kung-fu i often start with a left hand punch and occationally it is met with the wrong hand making it less effective(because i am at a low level i usualy have to train with lower levels so they arnt always ready for every thing)

Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil~Exodus 23:2

Violence, even well intentioned, always rebounds upon oneself.~Lao Tzu

And mankind is naught but a single nation~quran