pineapple

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I think so, it could be a safety concern depending on how baddly tattered it was. It may also just make you look poorly, as well as some instructors can find it disrespectful.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

It all depends on just how tattered it is. A bit worn I don't have a problem with, but holes are another matter. I don't look at it as a matter of disrespect towards myself or my dojo, but it just looks sloppy.

Myself, my favorite gi is an old black, and pretty faded heavy wight gi. My senior student hates it and says "Why don't you buy a new, dark black one?" Hey...would I throw out one of my best friends? All I have to do is snap my fingers and it puts itself on my bod! :D And no, it's faded, but not worn or tattered.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I'd say that it would be wrong to wear a tattered gi if it could cause injury, accident or embarassment to yourself or another person.

e.g. if it had holes in it that someone could get their finger caught in when performing a technique.

If it's just faded then that should be OK. However, its up to your school and instructors what they will and won't let you wear. If your teacher(s) are OK with your old gi then other students should be, unless they find it really offensive.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Do-gi has to be neat. If it's overly worn out, well, it's not an "uniform" anymore - so it's best to keep one as a home training do-gi (or just dump it).

Holes, threads hanging etc. looks sloppy. It shows negligence towards own self.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

I still have my TSD uniform (gi). It's old but doesn't have holes (it's white, though). I love that uniform. It's the only one that fit me perfect.

Anyways, I agree with what was said. If it's a little faded, that's fine. But if it has holes, get a new gi ;)

Laurie F

Like Shorinryu Sensei says, it's one of my best friends and as Pacificshore says, it has sentimental value!

I'll refrain from wearing it but I'm not going to throw it away!

What works works

I like the idea of keeping it around as a home training gi. That way you still get to enjoy it but don't have to worry what it looks like to anyone else.

I've yet to find a gi that fits right, so I don't think I will ever have to fear liking any of my gis too much.

----

Hmm. Hello. This is the floor. How did I get here?