• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyone here study Eugue-Ryu?

Kieran-Lilith

How do you pronounce that?

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YES! I'M NOT ALONE IN THE WORLD!!!!! Okay, yeah, anyway, we pronounce it you-jay-ru (I use words to help me remember, but everyone knows how to pronounce ryu, don't they?)

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

Eugue-Ryu Karate Jutsu. I don't know any more than that, I can't get to the dojo til Saturday to find out anything more. And this school's name is Jukido-Kai Sogo Budo. Personally, I don't have a clue what it means.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

Thank you. Well, I'm interested in learning more of this style and its history. As you learn it, I'm sure there are many that would appreciate you passing that on here. :)

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Well, my dojo is the eugue ryu hombu dojo, in lima, ohio, our page is under construction but its eugueryu.com, simple enough huh? any way, we pronounce it more like oo-jay-ru, like "you", without the "y", and at least at my dojo , we learn both karate and ju jitsu, i dont know if its all part of the style, ill ask my sensei tonight about its origins, and stuff, and kieran, what are the kata that your dojo preform? we start with ichi ku , ni kyu , and san ku, and more, but i dont know them yet... keep posted, ill prolly get more info tomorow, oh, is your dojo in spencerville ohio, keiran?

"When your hand goes out stay your anger; when your anger goes out stay your hand." - Taika Seiyu Oyata

Nope, Wapak, Sensei Shane Topp. We're just moving to a bigger one this coming week, we're all so excited, especially us teens. We're looking forward to not accidentally kicking the midgets in the head anymore. And yeah, you're pronouncing it more right than I am, I'm terrible at pronounciation in anything but english. Yeah, our kata go, in the order I know so far, though I don't necessarily know the exact order, I need to check....ichikyu, nikyu, Pinan Shodan, sankyu, then I don't know anymore for a while, then I know Nihachi (sp?) Shodan pops up somewhere, and there's Bokudan kata much later. I really need to get the that dojo! I'll find out more on Saturday, oh wait, hello, what an idiot I've been. Stupid Kieran, bad girl. My friend is a green belt, he knows loads more than I do, now where are my sticky notes.....

Dabbled in it for a while, a long time ago.

The instructor was a good one, and she gave everyone a good set of basics upon which they could build. Resources and facilities were very limited, but that didn't stop Sensei from being able to be an effective teacher.

IIRC, the kata that were taught were:

Ichi-kyu (white)

Pinan Shodan (white)

Pinan Nidan (orange)

Pinan Sandan (blue)

Pinan Yondan (green)

Naihanchi Shodan (green)

Pinan Shodan-no-bo (green)

Pinan Godan (brown)

San-kyu (brown)

Shushi-nokonsho (brown)

Bassai Dai (brown)

Bassai Dai, using sai (brown)

Kankudai (brown)

I didn't stick around long enough to see what the black belts were learning, and there weren't any senior black belts in the class, since those that did get to shodan were often times gone shortly thereafter (college, moving, etc).

If I had to guess, it would be similar to what was taught in Shotokan, seeing how a lot of the kata were similar, as well as the terminology and techniques used. My guess, is that the third bo kata would have been Shushi-nokondai, but again, this is purely speculation.