• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello, KarateForums.com!

Fu Man

Hello everyone,

Thank you for allowing me to be a part of this wonderful forum.

My name is Ted, and I studied Tae Kwon Do (Ji Do Kwan) for 8 years during a 12 year period of time, as I took some time off for other activities.

At 34 years of age and 12 years of martial arts inactivity, I am seeking to pursue the martial arts world again. Although I love TKD, I have never been a very flexible person. This innate problem has only become progressively worst due to weightlifting, lack of stretching and aging. Therefore, I am seeking a martial art that is more focused on self defense, fundamental and practical techiques, hard and soft concepts, hand strikes and low kicks.

I am currently seeking to join either a Hung Gar or Wing Chun school. However, to my knowledge, there are no Hung Gar instructors near my residence or place of work. I have visited a few Wing Chun schools, but I do not believe that I have found the right school for me in order to make a long-term commitment. Most of the schools trained either too soft or not enough days of the week. But, I am still on the lookout for such a school. I really had my heart set on learning Kung Fu.

To make matters more interesting, a person I met at a bookstore invited me to visit an Isshinryu Karate and Kodokan Judo school near my place of work. According to this person, whom also trains at other schools, the training is pretty hardcore. :) I have spoken with the instructor and plan to visit the school today, for Judo, and tomorrow, for Karate.

Actually, prior to studying TKD, I studied Isshinryu Karate and hated it. I left due to the non flashy-ness of the martial art. Yes. I was young and dumb at the time. Now that I am older and wiser, I appreciate the training a lot more and would love to pursue it again if I am unable to find a good Kung Fu school. Also, Isshinryu Karate trains many of the same attributes as Hung Gar and Wing Chun, which is simplistic and fundamental techniques geared towards self defense. Furthermore, it's a bonus to be able to study Kododan Judo at the same school with the same instructor, if I choose to take a grappling art as well (more than likely I will do so).

Ted

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Welcome to the forums, Ted. Good luck in your search for a school. :)
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I decided to pursue Isshin-Ryu Karate again, along with Kodokan Judo. Although I really wanted to practice Hung Gar or Wing Chun Kung Fu, I did not find a suitable school in my area (at least not yet).

The Karate and Judo instructor is extremely hands-on and motivational. Plus, I can train six days a week if I choose at a great price per month. I am really excited to begin this new journey in martial arts.

welcome Ted!

I don't know where in MI you are but there is a Cuong Nhu dojo called Flowing Chi in Saginaw. Cuong Nhu conbines 7 differnent martial arts including wing chun, shotokan, and judo. Here's the site https://www.flowingchidojo.com if you want more info.

Good luck!

God has not given us a spirit of fear, but a spirit of love, a spirit of power, and of self-discipline.

2 Timothy 1:7

Thanks for the information.

I live in a suburb of Detroit, which is quite far from Saginaw.

I attended the Karate class today, along with another Judo class. I am extremely happy with the classes and instructor. I believe I will be a student there for a very long time.

Nevertheless, I still want to learn Hung Gar or Wing Chun, especially Wing Chun, in the future. Maybe when I earn black belts in both martial arts, Karate and Judo, I will pursue one of the aforementioned CMAs.

Thanks again,

Ted

Ted,

Welcome to KF. At 34 you're not too old. I started TKD at 35 after 17 lay off. Whatever you choose to do, give it your all!

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

Ted,

Welcome to KF. At 34 you're not too old. I started TKD at 35 after 17 lay off. Whatever you choose to do, give it your all!

Thanks for the encouragement, Kicks! It feels kind of weird being a white belt again, but I am determine to become good at both martial arts. :D

Welcome to KF, enjoy the forums. I'm sure you will enjoy them.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."