• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Have you heard of, or do you practice, Splashing Hands?

baronbvp

My Renshi is all psyched about Splashing Hands, a flowing quick movement style with focused street application. It seems very effective and not too complicated -- probably why it is good in the street. It looks to me like a Kung Fu derivative.

Even though he is a 6th Dan in Shorin-Ryu, he is really liking Splashing Hands. We have trained some of it one-on-one and I have to say I really like it, too. He said his new Splashing Hands Master is a 62-year-old man with the most power Renshi's ever seen in a human of any size. Impressive!

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Can you elaborate a bit about just what splashing hands is?

OOPS...never mind...found a bunch of stuff on google about it. Interesting if your sensei is a 6th Dan in shorin ryu why he would find this as effective, or more so than what he should already know. :-?

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

He likes the speed and footwork - the application of serious violence rapidly to end a fight.

I saw this on the web at https://www.littlenineheaven.com/spintro.html:

"Splashing Hands is an extremely practical, no-nonsense art. It features quick shuffling footwork, similar but faster than that used by the famous Mohammed Ali, and low-focused straight leg kicks. These are combined with jabs, punches, elbows, hammer-fists, chops and finger pokes thrown with blinding, machine gun-like rapidity. Opponents have a difficult time defending against the kind of attacks carried out by a fighter trained in Splashing Hands because of the speed with which the techniques are delivered as well as the sheer number of strikes and kicks the opponent has to deal with in a short period of time.

Unlike other styles of classical martial arts, which are good for tournament fighting and other controlled sparring situations, Splashing Hands is extremely contemporary in that it is geared strictly for the streets. It is in fact a pure street-fighting system."

Why do you think he wouldn't be interested?

He likes the speed and footwork - the application of serious violence rapidly to end a fight.

Why do you think he wouldn't be interested?

I read the same thing on the same page. I didn't say he wouldn't be interested, but Shorin Ryu already has great footwork...minus the Ali Shuffle..which IMHO isn't a good martial arts fighting technique...and very quick hands.

And kicking with straight legs? There's not much power from that sort of kick without a bend to the knee to provide that final snapping motion where shorin ryu gets the majority of it's power from in all of their techniques (kicks, punches and blocks).

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Good points. My renshi likes the straight leg because you don't see it coming quite as much as when someone lifts the knee first and telegraphs the forward kick. The fast splashing hands strike. block, and distract while the straight leg comes up into the groin for a toe kick. I don't like that kick myself, though I have very limitied experience, because the leg seems prone to hyperextension. I am long and skinny, and he is more squat and powerful.

As far as the Ali shuffle, one advantage is the quickness to transition from leading with one side to the other or to the side stance, and for facing multiple opponents rapidly. I personally find it a little cumbersome and I keep looking down to watch my feet, which isn't where I want to (or will) look in a fight.

Again, I don't have near his experience so I am working without a net here.

I love that style. Very useful in the pool or bathtub.

(Just being an idiot).

Peace;

Parkerlineage

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

From what I've seen, Splashing Hands is often taught in conjunction with other Chinese MA such as Tai Chi, Xing Yi, Bagua etc etc.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Wow. I've never heard of it, but it sounds very interesting! I love that name; sounds very Tai Chi. :)

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."