• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Orthodox to southpaw and back

For a fighter (right handed) to switch from orthodox stance to southpaw stance and back during a fight is tricky and most fighters (right handed) just stay in orthodox stance.

I easily spend most of my time in the orthodox stance but I do switch to southpaw in order to throw this combination (left cross – right jab – left round house kick) and then I quickly switch back to orthodox. I switch to southpaw because with this combo I can throw a power round house kick (rear leg) from the side that I don’t usually throw power kicks from.

Do you practice switching stances?

A minute of experience on the street is worth a year of training in the dojo.

If you can’t sprawl and brawl, you can’t street fight.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

yeah we do but i hardly ever switch when im in range as if your opponent sees what your doing they can just kick you straight in teh side of the knee.

Strive to Become The Type Of Person That Others Do Not Normally Encounter In This World

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.

I used to fight southpaw, so I'm confy switching. However, I really don't switch much anymore. we preactice on both sides, as it's good to be ambidextrous. But we spend most of our time in the stance we will be fighting out of.

I accidently switch by falling off balance from throwing a straight right cross all the time while shadow boxing. Of course, I haven't gotten to the muaythai/boxing gym near me yet, so my form is awful. :brow:

"I like the idea of repeatedly sticking my knee in someone's face without threat of lawsuit." - me

Start mma training soon. (bjj, muay thai, boxing)

you're leaning when you punch - remember that when you lean you are putting yourself that much closer to your opponent, making it easier for them to hit you. stay straight and centered when you punch.

I easily spend most of my time in the orthodox stance but I do switch to southpaw in order to throw this combination (left cross – right jab – left round house kick) and then I quickly switch back to orthodox.

I do the same thing sometimes, but ususally throw the right jab before the left.

you're leaning when you punch - remember that when you lean you are putting yourself that much closer to your opponent, making it easier for them to hit you. stay straight and centered when you punch.

Thanks for telling me that. I tried it some, and you're right. I'm not going off balance any more. :)

"I like the idea of repeatedly sticking my knee in someone's face without threat of lawsuit." - me

Start mma training soon. (bjj, muay thai, boxing)

I do the same thing sometimes, but ususally throw the right jab before the left.

Is that a right jab, left cross, left roundhouse kick?

A minute of experience on the street is worth a year of training in the dojo.

If you can’t sprawl and brawl, you can’t street fight.

I am a southpaw but sometimes I switch without thinking about it, especially if the opponent's right side opens up and I'm on my left. I also do it if I'm tired, since my left can now jab and for some reason it allows me to rest. I tell you what, it throws people off when you switch in the middle.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.