• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Smoking

Davison

Why would you ever want to start taking drugs? Or become an alcoholic? Or become addicted to anything? You don't, but it happens. :)

But why but your first pack?

Weakness, curiosity, poor/impaired judgment, who knows? But, it happened. Doesn't do any good to talk about it now.

(It is kind of tough for me to understand as well as I would never, but stuff happens and people try stuff).

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think your heart really needs to be in it to be successful with quitting or you will never give up. I started smoking at school, probably around 12, 13 years old. I put it down to peer pressure getting the better of me, but I would go through 20 a day at school, and more at the weekend. I tried to give up loads of time as it really ate away at my money but I would always end up having a crafty fa.g and then it starts all over again.

What made it worse for me was that although I smoked for about 8 years I never told my parents. I used to try and hide it from them best I could, but I felt terrible always having to go in the house and run upstairs before my parents had the chance to catch my scent! Im sure they knew.

I got with my boyfriend when i was 15 and he didnt smoke, in fact he hates the thought, but he put up with it. When we started getting serious about our relationship i felt so guilty that he was having to put up with my ash tray smell and smoke always in his face. He had always said that he could never live with a smoker. I was sure that it would probably drive a wedge between us at some point so i gave up for him in August 04. And lo and behold, we've just bought a house together and things couldnt be better. I had an incentive to give up, and i think thats what helped me.

Its the hardest thing i ever did but i could not feel better. I saved up a deposit for a house, got myself a new wardrobe, i became much fitter and i did not get out of breath so easy when i was training. And now I can hold my head up high that im not hiding things from my family anymore, and that I am probably going to live longer just by not putting a cancer stick in my mouth!

best of luck with giving up. I craved for a few months but once you've got out of the routine its not so bad. Chew gum when you crave, but not nicotine gum, that stuff does nothing. Or go and make a cupper. Dont eat junk food everytime you crave or the weight will pile on.

Hope that helps! :D

People quit when they decide to. Everything else is just a crutch. No one controls your behavoir but you.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

Well put. If you want to quit then do it, Determination!

I am actually suprised that there are smokers on KF as Martial Artists would not be the kind of people you expect to smoke.

The cool summer breeze passes me by.

Davison, my condolenses for your friend. My mother passed away as a result of cancer caused by smoking.

The first thing you need to do is realize that you need to stop smoking. Stop for a moment and realize that smoking is bad, and you are addicted. In other words: you have a problem. A problem that needs to be solved.

Don't just say it, don't just turn to your best friend and say it...think it and realize it.

Next, throw away all of your cigarettes, and do not purchase any more. Whenever you feel the need to purchase cigarettes, take the cash you were going to use for it and put it away in your sock drawer. After a month take a look at how much money you have...you'll be amazed.

I have no doubt your original post was cathartic to some extent and you let out some feelings about your own smoking you've perhaps not voiced before. So all I'm going to say is congratulations. Now is a very important day because today is when you've decided to stop smoking and lead a healthier life. All you have to do is get rid of the cigarettes now and everything is downhill from there. PM me if you need a shoulder.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

chewing gum helps or holding a stick of gum like it was a cigarette helps to but it will ulitmately come down to will power. You can try every method you want if you don't have the will power or desire to quit then don't even bother.

What the superior man seeks is in himself; what the small man seeks is in others. - Confucius

I've always been a big advocate of smoking. I love to smoke. What i hate are the smokers that say they're going to quit and gripe about how bad it is for you and then light up. I also hate those that say they 'stopped smoking' but really mean they stopped buying cigs and ask you for one. There's this guy at work that hasn't 'smoked' in years, but somehow bums a cig from me on every break.

In conclusion, if you don't want to smoke, don't. If you do want to smoke, do it. don't tell me what to do or not to do, i guarentee if my wife can't get me to quit, no one else can.

thanks.

I was a smoker for almost 20 years and the part that kept me going was that I really liked to smoke. I associated a lot of things that I enjoyed with smoking and it was hard for me to realize that I could do without the smoking and still enjoy myself.

I quit smoking a little over four months ago. I told myself that I still had to go down to the smoke room for breaks with the people I work with but I woud not touch a smoke and have been successful. I have not had one cigarette since I quit and even though I get a taste for one every once in a while.

I just had to want to quit and now that I have, my karate workouts have improved a great amount and I no longer wake up coughing like I used to.

The key to quitting smoking is that you have to want to quit. If you don't want to quit you won't no matter how much people try to scare you or tell you that you should quit. Once you choose to quit, you will quit.

Doug

Shodan, Shotokan Karate & 1st Kyu, Iaido

ShotokanMaster.com

ShotokanPlanet.org

Much of the addiction factor regarding tobacco is the behaviour. If you can adapt to the loss of the cigarettes then you can move on.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Davison,

I have lost an uncle, 2 aunts, and a personal friend to lung cancer (caused by smoking). I know have a cousin that is smoking like a chimney. He hasn't learned from history.

I am not a smoker and never plan to be. Good luck on quitting. I know it won't be easy, but with hard work, determination, and loving support, you can do it. Good luck.

"The journey of a 1,000 miles starts with but a single step."