Davison

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not understand cigarettes. What benefit do they offer? They kill you quicker and make your lung capacity decrease, they cost hundreds a year and if you smoke at home then they damage the health of your family.

Why would you ever want to start smoking? Good luck with the quiting!

The cool summer breeze passes me by.

Why would you ever want to start taking drugs? Or become an alcoholic? Or become addicted to anything? You don't, but it happens. :)

Although I'm sure you'll get a lot of ideas about how to quit, the first thing that probably has to happen is that you need to believe that you can quit! So, in that spirit, here's my little story.

There are two people I know of (one is my grandmother) that smoked heavily for 50+ years. Both smoked until their smoking landed them in the hospital. Both faced essentially the same choice... stop smoking or it will kill you. However, both of these people managed to quit. I know it must be very difficult, although I am not a smoker, but if people who smoked heavily for 50+ years can quit, I am sure that you can.

----

Hmm. Hello. This is the floor. How did I get here?

Iam 16 and i have never smoked, it has never really tempted me. The only thing i can think of is, think about what you will get out of this. You will be healthy, better off financially the people around you will be healthy (2nd hand smoking is just as bad). AND your fitness for MA training will be better :o goodie!!!

im 17 in the same position as you...i have also never drank. when i here people at my school say "im gonna get wasted tonight" and go out for a smoke between each class it leaves me in disgust. if only they could see thier ignorance.

anyways, quiting smoking is obviously not an easy thing to do, it takes will, determination, and will probably be more challenging than anything youve ever done. if you get a craving, satisy it will something else...drink water, its good for you. try not to be around other smokers it will only intensify your craving. Motivation is also key, if you serious about doing it post here every once in a while, im sure many will be able to motivate you and help you. Make goals for yourself, if you dont have a reasonable goal you wont get anywhere, insted of quitng cold turkey, minimize your daily intake and keep raising the bar.

you can overcome it. :karate:

"Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battle field."

im 17 in the same position as you...i have also never drank. when i here people at my school say "im gonna get wasted tonight" and go out for a smoke between each class it leaves me in disgust. if only they could see thier ignorance.

Good for you! :D

I'm 18 and am also smoke and drink-free... but it amazes me how many people in my high school used to drink "just because"! And now at college, it's just as bad, if not worse. Fortunatly, I have found friends who also avoid this kind of behavior and choose a more responsible road.

And, davison, sorry, I have no advice for you (I don't know how one would quit smoking). I just hope that you find the strength to kick this addiction. It's good that you recognize that you need to quit, now you just need to find the willpower to make it happen. I hope that you do. :)

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances there is...actually proven to be as addictive as heroin. (I used to be a drug and alcohol counselor)....If you smoke just 1 pack a day, and lets say you take 10 drags per cigarette, thats 200 "doses" of nicotine per day. 400 if you smoke 2 packs, and so on. Your body is physically dependent on it, not to mention the mental addiction. This is why its so very difficult to just quit. Sure, you shouldnt start, but it happens.....thats life. There are many "quitting methods".....you just have to find the one that works for you......good luck.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

I'm 24 and I quit smoking New Years day of this year.... (it's been about 4 months now...)

Last year I think I tried to quit about 8 or 9 seperate times, cold turkey, the patch helped me for a 2 month stint but I started again... and various other methods... some of which only lasted 2 or 3 days...

This time I used the patch for about 2 weeks to get me over that first little while where you lose your mind.... and I haven't had a smoke since....

The reason for my success....

1. I kept myself out of situations for a good few months (until I was ready)... where I knew I smoked alot (i.e. no more drinking with the boys for a while, cut back on the coffee...). Now I go out for a few beers and forget about the smoking after a couple of drinks....

2. I didn't underestimate the addiction. Just because I had a good day... I didn't think I was over the habit... it had been my downfall before.... I still get nic fits now... but they are infrequent and much more managable, going away after 30 seconds or so... but I know it's a continuing struggle

3. I used my martial arts to replace smoking in a sence. I took a positive thing and a natural high to replace the chemical one....

4. The most importiant I think. I didn't quit quitting. My biggest motivation this time was the thought "screw having another smoke... I don't wanna go through this crap all over again..." cause that first little while is the hardest... and that seemed to keep me from going to the store and buying a pack when I really wanted a puff... You really have to want to quit. In your head you have to be ready or you'll break...

Maybe different things will work for you... but remember... you'll only quit if you want to... you have to be strong when that addiction comes knocking... and don't quit quitting no matter how many times you fail...

Man I could use a smoke right now... but... that would be stupid... I don't smoke....

Good Luck!

Why would you ever want to start taking drugs? Or become an alcoholic? Or become addicted to anything? You don't, but it happens. :)

But why but your first pack?

The cool summer breeze passes me by.

Slydermv has brought up an important point. It is more of a mental addiction than physical. Patches, gum and other aids can help with the physical symptoms, but the real key to success is to change your thinking.

Start by avoiding situations and places where you want to smoke, replace them with healthy alternatives. When I was in my car I replaced cigs with Dum-Dums (the little lollipops) it helped keep me busy and worked on the oral fix.

Hang out at places where you can't smoke. I chose the Dojang, my instructor would absoulutely lose his mind if he saw someone smoking on the proprety.

Go to your doctor or health clinic and get information on how to quit. I would strongly suggest looking into a support group. It could help you with different strategies and give you another place where smoking is not allowed.

Finally, remember, you are a non-smoker now, you used to smoke, but you really don't want to start again.

Good luck, and remember, should you go back, immediately get back on your quitting program. Keep trying, it will work.

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!