• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you still remember and practice the early kata?

baronbvp

When I was young I wouldn't be caught dead doing kata. I only entered tournaments for one thing and one thing only, too fight. As a matter of fact it was the only thing I was interested in besides self defense. Now that I am 59 I have discovered kata & kobudo. My body can't take too much contact anymore. I still fight in the dojo but I don't compete in kumite anymore, since I was 55. Now I am really into kata & kobudo. In the last 3 tournaments I have won 2 gold and 2 silver medals and a second place trophy in an all age division. You can still stay involved and competitive even when pushing 60. I actually planned it this way if you can believe that. I always figured that I would get into kata & weapons later on in life when I stopped fighting. I can see how much I missed though too. Anyway it's a great way for us old guys to stay in shape and still compete.

Thanks,

Sensei Tom

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, i try to practice all the ones i can remember. the higher ranks are stressed more for performing the lower ranking katas with more refinement than the belts below us. my sensei tells me not to "paint a picture" but to perform the moves like the attacker was really there, it's hard to do sometimes, but practicing the bunkai helps...

<3

• 3 weeks later...
I find that I still have to go back and practice the early kata and kihons as I progress. I like it, but it seems my plate gets full because I have more to remember and practice. Any advice? My sensei can bang out each one like he's done them every day for 20 years. It's beautiful to watch -- perfect form, fast and powerful.

Good Afternoon,

Maybe you are focusing to much on quantity vs quality. I have concerns when a sensei requires quantity to promote.

Personally if one of my students can learn, truly learn, a kata then perfect it in form, technique, mushin, zanshin, kumite and life then I would award them Sho-dan vs when they have learned the eight empty hand kata of my style.

When you get down to it kata holds so much more than you can imagine. I practice my basics and kata daily and I have been doing this for about thirty-one years.

Have a nice day!

Very nicely put.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

Well i have to go back for my old katas at rank test

the best fight is one that doesnt happen