• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kwon Tournament Cut Gi's

MyAznMoo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Normal, rather low quality do-gi, most probably made in Pakistan.

Materials aren't all that great and especially the sewing threads have been a problem of Kwon. In one period of my training I used 1-3 heavyweight Kwon, Blitz and similar brands a year. After switching to a proper brand (Shureido), I have had two do-gi for years, no signs of heavy wear yet.

They're attractive by their price, but the quality is below the scale. They may look neat but the materials are not acceptable.

Stick to Kamikaze America, if you want a low priced and high quality tournament cut do-gi. My friend has had one for over five years in very heavy use. It's holding together beautifully.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Kwon are good if you're not going to give them much wear. I recently bought a Kwon gi from eBay and it is OK for general dojo wear, although I wouldn't wear it every day.

The advantages of Kwon are that their sizes are generous, they do elastic and drawstring waist pants and that their products are cheap.

If you're only wanting a Kwon gi to wear to occasional tournaments then you should be OK with it. If you're wanting something you can wear on a regular basis I'd suggest saving up and getting a better quality gi, such as a Tokaido, Shureido or Kamikaze.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Thanks for the tip. I was also interested in the Juka brand tournament cut---Bronze 10oz or Emerald 12 oz...which do you think is better? I'm about 5'0 and 105 lbs.

I've heard a lot of good things about Juka (including the claim that they're made by a same manufacturer that makes Kamikaze do-gi), but I don't have any personal experience on them. Personally, I favour heavyweight tournament cut do-gi, so my pick would probably be the Emerald. However, I'm certain that there are several people here in forums that have used Juka and can tell you more.

When it comes to waist, I personally prefer the traditional drawstring waist - it stays as it has been tied, doesn't squeeze like the elastic waist does and doesn't loosen in washes. It's up to your own taste, however.

Fact is that with karate uniforms it's same as with everything else - quality costs a bit more. Usually, it's worth it.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Thanks for the tip. I was also interested in the Juka brand tournament cut---Bronze 10oz or Emerald 12 oz...which do you think is better? I'm about 5'0 and 105 lbs.

I had a Juka Emerald gi before. It was one of my best gi's. I found it to hold up well for everyday use. I've even used the Juka Gold, another excellent gi. Jukas are suppose to be designed like the Tokaidos...meaning similar in cut, but much more less expensive. I have also used the Kwon tournament cut gi, but in my personal opinion, the Juka would be the better buy :karate:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

• 2 weeks later...

I've been wearing Jukas for about 5 years. I started with an Emerald, which I wore 3-4 times a week. I abused that gi. It took a good 3.5 years before it began to show the hard wear, tattered - probably from the perspiration. I owe it nothing. I now have two Bronzes. One I've been wearing to work out 2-3 times a week. I've been using it for about a year, and it is holding up very well. The other I wear only for teaching or demos. It still looks like new.

Jukas are great for the money. I've been thinking about a Tokaido, but seems like the Juka is probably a better value.

I have got a KWON Kata 16oz gi, it is good. But it appears to have shrunk in the wash. I have two kwon gi's and the newest has shrunk the most, the older own, has not moved at all, but other wise they are a good gi.

oliver willison