• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

XMA on Discovery

I don't think there are any real secrets let out of the bag. But it was mildly entertaining.

Also, I'm pretty sure there aren't any active XMA practitioners on this board. There was a topic posted about it a while ago and no one piped up.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, I'm pretty sure there aren't any active XMA practitioners on this board. There was a topic posted about it a while ago and no one piped up.

Could it be they don't want to take any ridicule that may come their way?

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

...the Discovery Channel is going to tell us everything we need to know about the MAs!

Don't knock it. I learn more on the discovery channel then I did through 4 years of college. I could write a paper on the mating habits of elephants.... :brow:

But in all seriousness... I'll give those XMA guys their props. They can do stuff I couldn't even imagine doing... and look at the form of their kicks.... they look great. I'm sure most people understand that doing 540 spinning heel kicks ain't gonna be feasable in a fight... so I'm sure these XMA guys could lay a pounding or at lease have the advantage with most average joes.... just like anyone else that trains hard does (and realizes the limitiations of their art).

Could it be they don't want to take any ridicule that may come their way?

It could be possible, there doesn't seem to be a lot of members of this board that practice XMA. But the moment we all begin ridiculing any one member, or groups of members, for what they practice then this board becomes meaningless.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

It's entertaining to watch, but completely useless otherwise in my opinion... I'll probably watch it if I'm at home, but I'm not gonna set my tvo...

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant

I don't practice "xma" as in the program class or whatever. But I do "trick" which is a generic terf for the acrobatics, flips, and tricks.

Extreme Karate(The Rundown)

-bad for real life situations.

-good for competetions, tv shows, and movies

-excellent for getting young people interested in martial arts

-has fighting applications in the infamous point sparring ring

-not completely useless(nor is it essential)

If i had to choose between karate and everything else, I would choose karate so i could beat up whoever made me make the decision and have everything else

Well, did anyone else watch it? It was amusing. It was the same one that played about a year ago; I thought it was going to be a new one.

One part that I though was particularly amusing was as the narrator was saying ‘Matt trains if traditional Okinawan Shrorin Ryu Karate’ he was doing back flips and XMA punches and screaming. Now, I’m no expert on Okinawan Shorin Ryu, but I don’t think that’s what he was doing!

In conclusion, they wasted, I mean spent, a lot of money on that show.

while I don't wish to debate the wellness of the XMA system, I can say that the creator, Mike Chat, never ever says that his is a fighting system...it's X-treme, hence the name...it is advertised as a gymnastic, competition based system.

that said, it is to MA what etch a sketch is to art. :dodgy:

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

XMA is entertaing to watch and I have alot of respect for the top XMAers - they're great athletes.

But the moment we all begin ridiculing any one member, or groups of members, for what they practice then this board becomes meaningless.

Very well said, cathal. :)

We're all here to learn from one another and have positive discussion, not to pull down anyone else's style just because we don't agree with it.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I've seen about half of it; the rest of it is still out there on TiVo for me to watch. I enjoyed it, and it is awfully pretty. Much more "art" than "martial", but I've seen wushu taught the same way, and it's considered a martial art.