• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata Competition training

ialwaysgethit

Hey,

I just want to come back to Freddy re.

one thing i noticed is that you should practis alot BUT not to much, when you feel techniques are getting sloppy you should just call it a day

I disagree, I think that this is the place where you absolutely have to keep going until the technique is more relaxed.

--

Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow thanks for all the support

some one asked which katas, well here i go

Unso

Kankusho

Gan ka Ku

Jion

Kan Ku Dai

Nijushio

Sochin

Empi

Go jushio Dai

Bassai Dai

Jitte

Jiin

And some one else mentioned a book, any ideas where i could get that from.

thank u every one

oliver willison

And some one else mentioned a book, any ideas where i could get that from.

Here is a link to the book that I had mentioned. Good luck.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1874250758/qid=1113661881/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-1946443-4187062?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Malanovaus

Okinawan Goju-Ryu

Karate ni sente nashi

The answers are on the floor

• 2 weeks later...

Have some one else that is a high belt then you and more experienced then you watch you do ur katas. Then they can tell you what to fix and how to fix. Good luck in that competition! Also Practice ALOT!

Determination + Disciplin + Strength - Fear = ONE BLACK BELT! Do the Math!

join this site!!

http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/index.php?mforum=senterforge

One of the things I do when I am learning/touching up a form is to go through it move by move. After each move, I look down and fix my foot position, hand position, etc. until I look like the "manual". Once everything is corrected in that position, I will tense all my muscles as if I'm trying to "freeze" myself in one spot. This helps imprint muscle memory.

I also do forms facing in different directions (Try it facing a corner to start sometime!), I'll have other students whack me with foam noodles while I'm doing my form, and do my form with as much power or fluidity as I can depending on what I think I need work on.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

• 3 weeks later...

Ialwaysgethit

You a long list of comp kata there! - I would focus on half of those at most. Each kata especially for comp has a characteristic that you exploit to the max e.g. don't choose kanku sho if you don't like to jump or gankaku if you don't favour yoko geri keage. I take my best attributes and choose the kata based on that.

jitte, jiin and jion do not offer elements that can be exploited in comp in my opinion, hence you will not see this much at world class level or even national.

Dan grade kata tend to be the unsu, gojushiho dia/sho etc...

Last point, a book can be great at telling where your body is suppsed to be, but it cannot fully realise what the rythmn, timing and feel of the kata. This is best extracted from someone who knows and shows.

Filming is okay, but you do need to know what to look for in order to correct.

Good luck!

MM

• 4 weeks later...

WOW thank you every one so many great tips, i do try them all.

so thank you every one, any more advise or tips or which are the best katas would be greatly accepted.

thank you please

:)

oliver willison

• 1 month later...

let me know what kata your doing.......as i am preparing for the kata in the shotokan cup next month, and i may be able ot help you!!

video cameras are a very good way to ehlp you develop your kata, they show you what parts dont flow as well as others and where it looks good.

i have used mirrors to help me keep my techniques in line, i spent hours doing Bassai Dai in the mirror before the students, and boy did it pay off........but you have to be able to see past how "embarrassing" you look or feel!!! get a completly detatched spectator, someone who knows nothing or very little about it to watch it and let them tell you how t"smooth" it looks. this will allow you to know what it looks like to others. plus you will get used to people watching you.

go to your sensei...ask him/her to stay behind after a session and work on it with you. practice at hokme on our own, and with another from your club. you need positive feedback and constructive critism (god how i hate that!!) before you will improve.

but, if you feel good about your kata......you will look good, and it will become easier for you.

let me know what your doing and i'll see if i can help.

and now the training begins...........