• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata Competition training

ialwaysgethit

i am trying to train up for kata competition and i am finding it very hard,

I generally know the kata's but getting them better is the problem.

Has any one any tips.

What do u use:

Videos cameras

Mirrors

What do you work on

How do you build up speed etc etc

i will generally me training on my own, and sometimes as a group of differing people and grades.

HELP :(

oliver willison

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used a video camera to look at my kata a few times. Rather odd, the things that felt great looked terrible, and the things that felt terrible looked great on camera.. :-? :P That wouldn't be a bad training tool at all, but remember to keep things working on the inside too, i.e. if you feel offbalance and no power on a technique, but it looks good on film, don't simply accept it :karate:

Mirrors.. umm, I always have trouble using those :P so I'll abstain from recommending or condemning those.

What to work on? Everything! :brow: Ok, ok. Narrowing it down a bit. Work on what doesn't work. Whatever you're having trouble with in your kata, work on it until it feels like second nature. Eventually, you'll be able to blend all the parts together until it feels like second nature.

How to build speed? Visualization usually works for me. Knowing the application to every move in my kata really helps. Like, the last move in Heian Nidan, the forearm strike to the throat (at least that's the application I've been taught). Visualizing an opponent there who I must defend myself against makes me attack with every ounce of speed and power I have. If you are simply seeing kata as a series of movements, it may be tougher to "psyche" yourself up on your technique.

Hmm.. I'm not sure if any of that made much sense... Just kinda rambled on about anything and everything I thought.

Wait!! Finally, a summation of everything: practice practice practice. :D It'll all get better the more you work on it. :)

Good luck. :up: :karate:

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

I would suggest having someone else demonstrate the kata for and you and watch them for a few rounds.

you may see key points to work on in yourself..

Wow HE\SHE really did that well i should be more like that or the opposite too.

For a moment pretend you are a judge and switch off

It is best to do this with a person who has been doing tournaments for a while with success.

what key points would you look for as a judge?

I look for control, balance an obvious knowledge of the kata itself and its technique

all kicks and punches should be clean and presise to there determined targets.

(dont like to see hesitation or thinking about what is next)

And the "eye of the tiger" helps too if you will exscuse the rocky quote

looked focused and determined and the more energy you can generate in your kata the better.

I have noticed in the NAPMA tournaments that people that vary there speeds and sounds do better than people that remain the same all the way through.

you should be doing your kata over and over, over and over etc etc

What do u use:

Videos cameras: yes anytime i can they are a great tool to use

Mirrors: best when teaching as a tool, great to notice if your stances are as they should be. and strikes go where they should be

What do you work on: everything,,, one of the things i do is have an equal or higher rank watch me step by step,

They make a sound and do one move and stop, they observe and correct or make a sugestion, and then the next move over and over until completed

How do you build up speed: do it over and over again slow and steady and soon your body will know the next move before you even have to think about it. fast is not as good as quality

I hope this helps some

good luck

Its all about the Chiflow

Everyone's given you good advice so far, but they've missed the most obvious, and in my opinion, the best place to go to help your kata get better.

Ask your instructor for help. He knows the kata. He knows where you need work on it. And he should know how to make it better.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

To work on my kata (either for tournaments or just to make it better) I tend to practice it at varying speeds, from the very slow Tai Chi-like up to full blast speed/power.

We have mirrors on one wall in my dojo, so I often stay behind after class or go early and practice whilst looking in the mirror to try and make sure that I look co-ordinated and that my kata looks 'right'. It's hard to explain, but you can generally tell when looking in a mirror if your techniques look as they are supposed to.

Plus, asking your instructor is always the best advice. :)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I would highly reccomend videotaping yourself. I keep tapes of all my competitions, and they are a great source of learning.

other than that, I think everybody else covered it all.

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

Work on each technique separately. This includes transitions and footwork.

Do it over and over and over...and then some more. Then, as already posted, do the entire kata at varying speeds and intensity, on different surfaces, in someone elses dojo, watch in mirrors, do with eyes closed, etc. The idea is to develop the techniques within the kata and become comfortable with them under any circumstances so that you are solid when you compete.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

one thing i noticed is that you should practis alot BUT not to much, when you feel techniques are getting sloppy you should just call it a day.

Extraordinary abilities can only come from extraordinary effort

I "stumbled" across a book that I thought had a lot of good tips for Kata training. By Dr. Geir Støre. Simply titled "Karate Kata Training." And I agree with Shorinryu Sensei in that asking your instructor is a very helpful thing to do.

Malanovaus

Okinawan Goju-Ryu

Karate ni sente nashi

The answers are on the floor