• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyone competed in the Arnold Classic?

UsagiYojimbo

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone here has competed in this event. I actually got to attend for the first time this year; that's part of what gave me the "bug" to get back into martial arts. My goal is to compete in next year's competition. So I've got some questions.

First off, does anyone know if Shorin Ryu would fall under the category of "traditional" karate? When I looked at the rules, it said that traditional consisted of schools derived from Goju, Shito, Wado, and one other I can't remember; not sure if Shorin is counted. Anything I should know ahead of time that wouldn't be listed in the rules? I'm probably going to be competing in kata; anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Their "traditional" list is most probably the WKF-list - i.e. includes Shotokan, Wado-ryu, Shito-ryu and Goju-ryu. Shitei-kata come from these styles.

Although Shorin-ryu is more traditional than any of these (roots go further in history), it generally is not accepted in "traditional" (read: WKF) competitions.

If you'd have to go to the "freestyle" category, skip it. The backflip-"kata" performers that compete in that category are not worthy to see real karate.

One possibility is to join the traditional category, check up the Shitei-list and pick your kata from there.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Shorin not traditional? It doesn't get much more traditional than Shorin, does it?

I've always considered Shorin Ryu practioneers as the "Old Foggies" in the neighborhood personally. And me one of the oldest foggies I know! (figured I'd better say that before somebody else did) :wink:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I've always considered Shorin Ryu practioneers as the "Old Foggies" in the neighborhood personally. And me one of the oldest foggies I know! (figured I'd better say that before somebody else did) :wink:

Hah! Coming from one of the oldest...oh wait, you beat me to it.

[/end spam]

Anyway, why would the WKF not consider Shorin Ryu a traditional style? I'm not exactly well-educated on tournament politics, but that just seems a little strange, especially as it accepts Goju Ryu.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the responses. I may follow the suggestion of checking the kata list and doing some of those. Although, I suppose I could just ask. :idea: So, has anyone actually competed in the Arnold Classic?

Hah! Coming from one of the oldest...oh wait, you beat me to it.

[/end spam]

Anyway, why would the WKF not consider Shorin Ryu a traditional style? I'm not exactly well-educated on tournament politics, but that just seems a little strange, especially as it accepts Goju Ryu.

You mean you didn't know that all of the major Japanese karate governing associations disregard Shorin Ryu as a true major style? They only recognize four JAPANESE styles for many competitions and I would suspect even the Arnold folks follow suit. These styles are Wado, Japanese Goju, Japanese Shito, and Shotokan. Kyokushinkai and its offshoots have K-1.

Real karate styles like Ryuei Ryu, Shorin, Uechi, Okinawan Goju, Okinawan Shito, Isshin and Motobu Ryu are left * out a lot of the time. C'mon you had to have known this.

Anytime I can put a Japanese style karate-ka in his/her place I do. Any chance I get to show someone like a Shotokan practitioner that what they practice is schoolkid karate I show 'em and I let 'em know. The Japs' have always been racist, xenophobic bigots, and shite ain't changed. They like to "take a bite and leave the rest". They are vultures to the Nth degree and the most opportunistic of the capitalist-minded dolts out there.

For everything they've done to perpetuate their watered down karate and I guess karate in general, they've done everyuthing in their power to dismiss and kill real Okinawan karate--the essence of it all and the original intent. That's why Hodge-Podge Ryu and crap styles like American Kenpo are the most popular. Manifest whatever you want from a limited imagination and narrow thinking. The rest of the idiots will vibe because they're on that average "tip", if you know-what-I-mean! That's the new world way!

What can we make money off of now, then throw away?

O-friggin'-Su foos'!

You can't fade me, man!