• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate question (Im a n00b)

Yenrab

Sup guys? I have taken Aikido for some time now, but had a question about Karate. I was thinking about taking Karate also, but wasn't sure about a few things. First, how big are Karate classes? (how many people).... I am kind of a shy person, and don't want to make those HUAAYY!! noises after I throw a punch in a Karate class. Do they really make you say stuff like that? And also, what are the going rates for classes, I understand most places are different, but if someone can try answering these (estimated), then that would be great. ALSO 1 more thing, I don't even know if there's any classes around here, LOL. I live in BOWIE, MARYLAND, so I'd say something 15 miles or closer would be great. Im sorry about all the questions, I am just curious.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm pretty sure this isn't the response you're looking for, but I think most of your questions all point to you doing some research on your own. Karate classes will vary MAJORLY, depending on style, school, teacher, yada yada. Some schools will have big classes, some small, some with both on different days. Some schools will be cheap, some expensive. In my area, some go for as cheap as $25 a month for 3 classes a week, to some being about $80 for a few classes a week.

Basically, I think you should start by finding out whats available in your area. From there, visit the various schools, talk to the teacher, ask questionsm maybe even try out a class, and then see if the price, class size, and everything else fits for you.

Oh and about kiai's (the yelling), I wouldn't feel embarassed, most students will be doing it, and it will be encouraged. In fact, in some cases you'll lose marks in testing for not kiai'ing properly. Its an important part, and you shouldn't feel odd doing it.

Like a midget at a urinal, I'm always on my toes

First, how big are Karate classes? (how many people)....

That depends completely on the school and in some cases even on which day you choose to attend the school.

I am kind of a shy person, and don't want to make those HUAAYY!! noises after I throw a punch in a Karate class.

Like traz said, everyone else in the class will be doing it so there is no need to be worried.

I don't even know if there's any classes around here, LOL.

Look in your local phonebook or ask around to find out the location of some classes.

I'm moving this over to the karate forum.

First of all, welcome to Karate Forums Yenrab! Good to have you on board.

Karate classes will vary immensely according to location, venue, instructor and the style taught. There are traditional karate schools and there are modern/freestyle schools. I'd suggest that you decide which you like to train in. Remember, though, the quality of the instructor is more important than the style!

Find out what's in your area, and ask each school if you can go and visit. Then try out a couple of lessons (not just one because you may train on the one time they do something totally different!). Consider each school on how much it costs, how far it is from where you live and if you'd be happy training there.

Good luck! :)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I'm moving this over to the karate forum.

First of all, welcome to Karate Forums Yenrab! Good to have you on board.

Karate classes will vary immensely according to location, venue, instructor and the style taught. There are traditional karate schools and there are modern/freestyle schools. I'd suggest that you decide which you like to train in. Remember, though, the quality of the instructor is more important than the style!

Find out what's in your area, and ask each school if you can go and visit. Then try out a couple of lessons (not just one because you may train on the one time they do something totally different!). Consider each school on how much it costs, how far it is from where you live and if you'd be happy training there.

Good luck! :)

What's the difference between Modern and Freestyle?

The HUAAYY!! noises are called kiai (pronounced like key eye). They help to focus the power and energy. They also help to develope your self confidence. :)

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Sup guys? I have taken Aikido for some time now, but had a question about Karate. I was thinking about taking Karate also, but wasn't sure about a few things. First, how big are Karate classes? (how many people).... I am kind of a shy person, and don't want to make those HUAAYY!! noises after I throw a punch in a Karate class. Do they really make you say stuff like that? And also, what are the going rates for classes, I understand most places are different, but if someone can try answering these (estimated), then that would be great. ALSO 1 more thing, I don't even know if there's any classes around here, LOL. I live in BOWIE, MARYLAND, so I'd say something 15 miles or closer would be great. Im sorry about all the questions, I am just curious.

I'm going with everyone else, that it will vary. Most classes around here consist of less than 20 students per class, but from what i understand, in the bigger cities the classes are larger. Most prices in these parts are less than $40 a month for two days a week. I've paid as much as $150/hr. though.

And as for the kiai's, i once had an Instructor that would go outside and close the door, standing along side a highway, and if he couldn't hear you kiai, you didn't do it loud enough. most aren't like that though, but it is important.

call around, any Instructor would be happy to answer all of your questions.