• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Age Uke / Jodan Uke

Chirath

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Anyone ever used this in real life? I can't really imagine it being an effective way of blocking a punch to the head. Doe it have some hidden bunkai to it? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Osu :karate:

Pretty much all things have a hidden bunkai (not so much hidden, as different ways of doing them and less obvious). The best way to think about it is not to see it as a "block" per se. This applies to any blocking technique, by the way.

You can think of it literally as punching the incoming attack (whether you want to punch his fist like Bushi Matsumura was reputed to have done to a challenger and broke it or perhaps the elbow or another target). This would make even more sense if you take into account the crossing of hands that occurs in most blocks. The crossing of the hands is the actual "block" where the retracting hand blocks/parries and grabs the incoming attack and the rising hand attacks the opponent's arm (or any other target made vulnerable by pulling him into you).

Or you can think of it as a forearm strike to the face or neck that just so happens to brush the attack out of the way. In this one, the emphasis is more on the forward motion combined with the upward motion. Many Okinwan blocks tend to be higher, indicating its more of a strike that happens to block the arm at the same time.

There are other variations. It isn't necessary to go into all of them. However, like I said, the best way to think of what blocks really are, is that they aren't. Blocks, that is. If you look at the word "uke/uki", it means "to receive", not "block"...there's a different word in Japanese that literally means "to block".

To be honest, I was unsure whether I was going to write a response or not. (But I like hearing the sound of my own voice...or is that seeing the sight of my own text? And I figured someone else would say it anyway)

But these things are something you should really give a lot of thought and time to. I like the free flow of knowledge, but depending on your level, there is also a point where you should not have things spoon-fed to you constantly. No, you should actually want to have things NOT spoon-fed to you. Otherwise you'll just be a mirror, rather than someone who is really learning. I don't mean to discourage questions. I probably ask more questions of my instructors than they care to hear...but something this "simple" should require at least a decent amount of ponderance before asking a question.

Of course, if you did think about it a lot and couldn't come up with an answer, that's okay too. I (and others more knowledgeable) will always be here to answer questions. But I think the most important step for a martial artist is the one he or she takes without holding their instructor's hand.

[/end something-I-just-wanted-to-rant-about]

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

The crossing of the hands is the actual "block" where the retracting hand blocks/parries and grabs the incoming attack and the rising hand attacks the opponent's arm (or any other target made vulnerable by pulling him into you).

Or you can think of it as a forearm strike to the face or neck that just so happens to brush the attack out of the way. In this one, the emphasis is more on the forward motion combined with the upward motion. Many Okinwan blocks tend to be higher, indicating its more of a strike that happens to block the arm at the same time.

Right on the money, Shorin Ryuu.. I like the applications to the "rising block".. as in the ones you mentioned, grabbing the attackers punch with the drawing arm, and using the forearm to strike through the attackers elbow (hint: elbows aren't supposed to bend this way :brow: ).

Then, the application for my current kata (Heian Nidan), the forearm strike to the throat. The drawing arm that goes up actually performs the blocking action (more of a sweeping action in this case), where as the main part of the "block" actually goes into the attackers throat (not comfortable).

I'm sure there are many more applications to this move. Keep looking into it, talk to your sensei, and you'll see there's more to it than you might think. :)

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

I've used it in free sparring during classes, and it worked out a few times. One of the brown belts in the dojo likes to use it to break a wrist-lock while simultaneously performing an uppercut.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Yes I have used this in a street fight on several occasions. I have even used it to strike someone under the jaw.

Its a great tool for defence as well as attack.

Does it work? Well... I still have my head, so I guess it does

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

in heian shodan, would one really step or lunge three times to block an attack. i think they are strikes and the third is a takedown when you turn into a downward block. what do you guys think?

Well, the three age-uke blocks in heian Shodan don't necessarily have to be used in sucession. One application of it is that they may be used together, or as separate applications.

Anyway, I agree with you - I prefer to think of them as strikes that also happen to be able to block or parry (or whatever else you happen to throw in there!).

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Age uke in its basic form ,when practiced by kyu grades will aid in teaching the students concept of upper block and in basic kumite the students practice to achieve profeciency in correct timing of the block and distance ,but in a combat situation being the dojo or street ,it can be short block or a quick attack to the throat or both the block and counter in one move depending on the situation followed by other techniques.

never give up !

The application I do, the first one is a block, the second is an attack which is blocked by the attacker. Finally the third one is a block then you break the attacker's arm.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu