• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pre-emptive attacking--is it legitimate?

I think it was Sean Connery who said in a movie once, "Getting hit first is a sure recipe for losing". As for having the opponent take the first swing at you fro a Self Defense argument, in Canada an assault is committed throught intent or deed(I have the section written in another thread here somewhere, but am too lazy to look it up) so if you belive that an attack upon you is inevitable, hit first and hit hard. I've had the R.C.M.P. come and discuss this with me after an inmate tried to have me charged with assault after HE attacked me.( I'm a correctional officer), so I have first hand knowledge of dealings of this nature.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well ,what funakoshi has said about there is no first attack in karate means that you don't go looking for fight but if you feel that in a situation you are about to be attacked then pre emptive strike is a self defence !

incidently last week while playing soccer this particular tug who is a bit of an idiot and thinks he is tough and gives it large verbally went on with abusive and threathening language towards me ,now I am over 40 and he is about 22 or so .I had no doubt in my mind that I could put him to sleep in no time ,but I went on with a smile and did not retaliate in kind to calm things down .I was very close to lose it but managed to hold myself together ,but had he got closer to me and had I felt he is sizing up an attack then I would have hit first .Still I am a bit unhappy about the whole thing ,although I know I have done the right thing and don't need to prove myself now in my age to any one and my life evolves around my family and their well being and their quality of life which I have to provide and the other guy is just an idiot without a care in the world .had I fought him I think I would have lost even if I had put him to sleep ,what do you think ?

never give up !

Sometimes pre-emptive striking is necessary. If someones approaching you with the tough guy attitude and you know he wants to hurt you, I doubt he'll be expecting you to rake his eyes out wiht your fingers... I find it as an essential strategy and a good peice of psychology if you ask me...

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant

Well that's where it really gets subjective doesn't it? Yes there are a few situations where you can just tell, but for the most part you can't tell if someone is really going to attack you.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

In most jurisdictions, the "Reasaonable Man" concept is usually applied to such situations. If a typical, reasonable person were placed in your situation, would they feel that they were in immenant danger of bodily injury, as a result of the subject's actions.

In many cases, this boils down to verbal threats, attempted acts of violence or similar indicators which most "reasonable people" would take to imply that such a threat existed.

"Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice."

M.A.S.