• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

solo practitioners, masterless masters?

i would like to hear some feedback from anyone out there who is training, or thinking about training martial arts without a master. or even anyone

who has some light to shed on this topic. i lost my sifu of 5 years about 2 years ago, and since then i've been reading, and finding out everything i can about new ways old ways, and anything else that i think will help

improve my kung fu (martial arts skill). i even joined an amature boxing league. i also still meet regularly with guys from different martial arts affiliations and backgrounds. physically i see myself improving, and my style is changing to a more simplistic aproach. my desire to train has not deminished, i'm getting faster, stronger, and my awareness is only slightly improving, but i feel i have no direction other than those aspects.

i tried going to other schools, but it's not the same, (you know) after you develope a bond with your master, and he's there to push you, it just doesn't feel right with someone else. i just keep training because it's what i love to do, and i hope he would be proud of me. i guess one of my questions are can this be continued, with the result of a truly unique martial arts mastery, and can it been done by someone with hardly any martial arts history, if he truly knew what he was trying to accomplish.

the only research i've done on the possibility of accomplishing a self martial mastery is in the book of five rings. miyamoto musashi the masterless master. i have five different translations of the same book.

anyways, the point is that it has been done before, albeit not very often.

unless of course miyamoto never existed. i'm no expert on japanese history, but my sources say that he really did exist, and was undefeated

having no master to teach him. i also here that the book of five rings is an incredibly popular book in japan, for japanese buisinessmen, because it shows numerous ways to overcome your opponent or in theyre case

buisiness competiters . anyways my research doesn't go much further than that. can someone please share some thoughts on this, is it a foolish quest?

Edited by InsaneTigerCrane

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You can certainly improve your Kung Fu with practice, but there are some things that only a master can give you to put you on your way to mastery as well. They don't give it all away, even in 5 years. To an extent you can train like this but you can only go so far...

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant

I'd have to agree with Chaz's post. You will be able to improve a certain amount by practicing independently, but you will be able to go farther with an experienced instructor guiding you. Just my thoughts.. :)

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

I recommend that you continuously search for a school that you can dedicate yourself to. There are tons of schools out there so don't give up trying to find a teacher that you WANT to learn from.

In the mean time, you are doing the right thing, boxing, training with friends, and reading will all help you to improve, however, if you want to master an art, you need a Sensei.

What works works

"IF" you have a good grounding in a style and have the time, discipline and motivation you can excel.

It is not something I would ever recommend for beginners, but someone who has had a few years training, sure go for it.

I personally see my teacher about once a month and for 2 decades have trained on my own, apart from training at weekend camps, held 3 times a year.

Many greats of the past trained alone became fabulous martial artists.

It all goes back to your motivation and your ability to discipline yourself.

Learn your correct training optimum level and work with that. Watch for over training and under training.

Have a mind like a sponge. Read everything you can about martial arts, and sports development perfomance and methods.

The average martial artist spends between 2-4 hours per week at their schools.

That is sure easy to exceed. Design your training so it is as hard as a school and ultimately much harder than.

Set your goals and pay the price to exceed them

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

• 2 weeks later...

I have trained exclusively alone for about the last ten years.

I think that for you to benefit from training alone it is perhaps advisable to gain a comprehensive fundamental grounding of your chosen art.

Ultimately, martial arts are a personal journey of enlightenment.

It is possible with the right mental insight and motivation to reach your aspirations either by training alone or in a group environment.

• 4 months later...

I have trained under an instructor with a full class for over ten years but have since then been training myself. And the reason I am making this post is because I thinkyou can most certainly not only maintain a high level of proficiency in training but even improve. Occaisionally I get to return to my kwoon and work out with my old sifu and see new faces of the school but what I have consistently noticed is that when I trian regular, I improve. Likewise, I think this is the goal of all martial arts anyway. Wouldn't it be a terrible thing to thinkl that even after lets say 50 years of training you never got tot he level of proficiency where you never required an instructor? Instead, I think the goal of martial arts training is to prepare you for your own training. Martial arts should not be merely a means to an end, or merely a way to defend yourself but a lifestyle of discipline and respect and constantself- improvment

One who excels as a warrior does not appear formidable; One who excels at fighting is never aroused in anger; One who excels in defeating his enemy, does not join issues; One who excels in the employing of others humbles himself before them. This is the virtue of non-contention which matches the sublimity of heaven.

• 2 weeks later...

If you think about it, every martial art was started by someone or a group of people who ultimately didn't know what they were doing. I think creating and mastering your own art is definately feasible, but it would benefit you or anyone trying this to have a training partner even if they didn't know anything, just to practice moves and self defense with. From what I read the famous Gracie family had to do just that. From what I understand, Mitsuyo Maeda originally taught the Gracies jiu jitsu, but didn't teach them to completion, leaving them with just the basic principals from which they developed their very popular, and effective martial art.

• 5 weeks later...