• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Carrying swords in USA

3hitKO

its probably already illegal to carry live blades in most states in america, but how about training swords like bokken or shinai?

*Gi-Yu-Jin-Rei-Makoto-Meiyo-Chugi*

"Life in every breath..."

"That is...Bushido."

"Hai."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not illegal in most of the USA. Many folks here carry good sized pocket knives, concealed, or unconcealed. Some states might require a license to carry something longer than a certain blade length, and others may forbid certain kinds of blades, but for the most part, there are no rules against carrying swords under the normal circumstances when you would be carrying one.

If you're going to or from a training session, exhibition, or some other sword-related activity, nobody's going to give you grief, as long as you keep a cool head, and don't flaunt the sword in the open public areas. Keep it in its sheath, and if possible, keep it covered in a bag. If you keep your sword in your car trunk, nobody's going to really care, unless you were behaving oddly.

If there's any doubt, just call your local police station, and ask them.

yea I guess the only real way would be to call and see

probably better not go walking down the street with a katana strapped to your belt though

might get some strange looks :lol:

*Gi-Yu-Jin-Rei-Makoto-Meiyo-Chugi*

"Life in every breath..."

"That is...Bushido."

"Hai."

It really varies from state to state. Here in Ohio, you can carry a sword, but only if it's visible, or you have a concealed carry permit. Therefore, you could get in trouble for having a sword hidden in a bag.

I wouldn't carry a sword around in Illinois. ecspecially out on the street.Besides the general public freaking out, I think the police would probably have somthing to say.

Why punch someone when their on the ground when you can just kick them

I live in California and shuttle my snake spear in a bag back and fourth everywhere I go, including my highschool, and no one seems to care. Though, I wouldn't recommend pulling it out in a parking lot and doing forms/katas with it... :P

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant

Acually, generally speaking if you have a weapon in a bag it is not illegal, concealment ON YOUR PERSON is. Swords aren't terribly important to most people, so walk around with one if you need to, but don't carry one around like you're a samurai. You'll look stupid.

• 2 weeks later...

Here in Oklahoma, you can't carry any weapon with malicious intent. You can carry a weapon (except gun i think) to or from training or competition. The only thing is, if you get stopped and have a sword on you, how can they prove that you aren't going to training or competition. Now, you could get in trouble for hitting/cutting somone with a weapon, or even planning on it.

As far as blades, i think there's a 4" limit on blades here. But no one has ever confinscated any of my long pocket knives and i've shown them to several police officers.

just check with your local authorities and don't make a fool out of yourself trying to carry as many weapons as you can like a Ninja Turtle.

If you fellows wouldn;t mind my curioustity what if i carrie a kali stick painted black and appears to be a police stick , but its not ..its used for martial arts purposes would this be ok/.//??

Displays a small graphic image below your details in posts. Only one image can be displayed at a time, its width can be no greater than 80 pixels, the height no greater than 80 pixels, and the file size no more than 8 KB.