• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Being FEMALE is causing a slight problem...

Voila! I have a way of avoiding the problem when using the bo... I asked Sensei last night and the adjustment I need to make is to lift my elbow so that I'm not stopping the bo between my arm and my ribs, just against my arm. :)

We have a weapons class tomorrow morning so (with any luck) I'll have a solution for the nunchaku tomorrow. Thank you!

Walk your talk - please walk your talk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you're stopping it against the inside of your arm as opposed to the against your ribs/chest area? Does this create a gap between the bo and your body?

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

Does this create a gap between the bo and your body?

Yes, a small gap. I can pull the bo in closer after finishing the technique.

The solution I've found for nunchaku is just to turn my stance so that I'm a bit more square on. Still managing to hit myself though... :dodgy: :x

How far from the top of the nunchaku do you hold them? For most techniques we hold them about half way down but I'm wandering if changing that slightly might help.

Ideas anyone?

We always hold ours at the very end, it allows for more control and power in your technique.

The more you sweat in peace the less you bleed in war.

The Winner is the one who makes the fewest mistakes.

Yea actually that's something that most of us traditionalists will agree on. If you are using nunchaku as a weapon then they should be held at the end. Like Joe said, more power and control of the swing. It also removes the chance of getting your fingers nicked or "bitten" by the rope. From the standpoint of not hitting yourself, well if you hold them near the end and you keep you extend your arm properly in your swings then no matter how big you are this shouldn't be much of a problem. Actually it's highly unusual for any traditional weapon art to practice holding them in the middle as a standard.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

• 3 months later...

I have hit myself the the bo before (I was learning the strikes in our system). The best way I have found out is to keep the bo close to the side of you body.

Hope this helped some!

Anyone can throw a reverse punch, but if you do not have heart, then your punching will be in vain.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hehehe, maybe you do need a date bro! lol!

Sometimes, especially when learning new stuff, the movements that cross the body with the weapon can hit protruding areas because the center point of the bo can rotate close to the chest. The nunchaku can have the hand holding it rotated a bit too far inward causing it to strike the outer aspect of the breast.

Just joking 'bout the date thing!

He's not the only one... lol. Now that I have that out of the way... I have an ex-girlfriend with 32DDs and she has alot of problems with any weapon... Even ones that don't require cross-over technique. I am just glad that I am a guy! lol