• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Being FEMALE is causing a slight problem...

Does anyone have any advice about how not to hit yourself in the chest in weapons katas? Espesh bo + nunchaku.

Most instructors are either male or female and too thin to have a problem! :cry:

Walk your talk - please walk your talk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have any advice about how not to hit yourself in the chest in weapons katas? Espesh bo + nunchaku.

Most instructors are either male or female and too thin to have a problem! :cry:

You hit yoru chest with a bo and nunchauku? How the heck are you managing doing that? :-? Describe, if you can, what leads up to hitting yourself please.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Unless there are some major obstacles in the way, it should be a matter of adjusting the angle of the weapon or hold on the weapon. Most females I know wear a high quality sports bra, (it must be high quality by the way they gripe about the cost!) and that usually takes care of the problem.

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

Unless there are some major obstacles in the way, it should be a matter of adjusting the angle of the weapon or hold on the weapon. Most females I know wear a high quality sports bra, (it must be high quality by the way they gripe about the cost!) and that usually takes care of the problem.

Well, I hadn't thought about "the obstacles" (man, I need to get a DATE! :roll: ), but I don't know of any nunchauku or bo techniques that would be causing any contact in that area. Those weapons are all used outside the center of the body, not the inside like a sai, tonfa or kama might be. Those weapons I can see being a possible problem for those that are more endowed.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I think she might be talking about some of the blocks and strikes that cause the middle portion of the staff to come into close proximity to the chest. Unfortunately, I can't remember the correct names as it has been more than a day since I have done them! The underarm stop used with the nunchaku and the high to low downward strikes that stop at the underarm are the first two that come to mind.

I think she might be talking about some of the blocks and strikes that cause the middle portion of the staff to come into close proximity to the chest.

The closest they come to the chest is along either side of your rib cage...I can't imagien that is what she is talking about...but then again...???

The underarm stop used with the nunchaku and the high to low downward strikes that stop at the underarm are the first two that come to mind.

Same thing though...they come to the sides of the rib cage, not the front.

Hehehe, maybe you do need a date bro! lol!

Sometimes, especially when learning new stuff, the movements that cross the body with the weapon can hit protruding areas because the center point of the bo can rotate close to the chest. The nunchaku can have the hand holding it rotated a bit too far inward causing it to strike the outer aspect of the breast.

Just joking 'bout the date thing!

Assuming your stances do not change to accomodate the bo or nunchaku - as a rule, in Kokoro Shukokai we pull back the shoulder above the back hand as far back as possible.

Assume you start in yoi holding the bo with your left palm facing downward and your right palm facing up. Step forward with your right leg into standard stance (zen-koutsu datchi - I think I spelt that right), while simultaneously striking downward with the right side of the bow so the left side ends up between your arm and your ribs. The problem (if you're female) is that you've just struck upward into your chest.

With nunchaku I find I have to sacrifice stance to be able to use them - so painful otherwise!

Walk your talk - please walk your talk

I have a question. When you strike with the bo does the non-striking end land under your arm at your ribs or does it land at the outside of the arm.

Okinawan Kenpo does it kind of like this:

http://www.swwkokondo.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/bo1small.jpg

Beyond just making sure the bo goes to the outside of the arm (which if the arm is between your breasts and your bo it should protect your breasts) we also lengthen our front stance and make it a bit more narrow. This allows for more hip manipulation, gets the knees out of the way, and makes for a more solid structure in the direction the weapon is being used.

With the nunchaku we really turn our body and hip a lot to accommodate the full swing of the nunchaku. We never stand square in a front stance while swinging this weapon. This isn't just hazardous if you have breasts, it's hazardous if you have a head, shoulders, or anything else that is in arc of the weapon. This does mean allowing the front foot to come up a bit as you swing across the body as well. If this is followed with a shuffle forward as you swing back the other direction it really generates a lot of power. Same concept goes for the tonfa as well. Turn the body as you swing and your body will never be in the path of the swing. Swing your arms separately and your body is just another immobile target waiting to get hit by your own weapon.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

I have a question. When you strike with the bo does the non-striking end land under your arm at your ribs or does it land at the outside of the arm.

That is a legitimate technique, but it is not as strong and secure as holding it between your arm and ribs.

Beyond just making sure the bo goes to the outside of the arm (which if the arm is between your breasts and your bo it should protect your breasts) we also lengthen our front stance and make it a bit more narrow. This allows for more hip manipulation, gets the knees out of the way, and makes for a more solid structure in the direction the weapon is being used.

With the nunchaku we really turn our body and hip a lot to accommodate the full swing of the nunchaku. We never stand square in a front stance while swinging this weapon. This isn't just hazardous if you have breasts, it's hazardous if you have a head, shoulders, or anything else that is in arc of the weapon. This does mean allowing the front foot to come up a bit as you swing across the body as well. If this is followed with a shuffle forward as you swing back the other direction it really generates a lot of power. Same concept goes for the tonfa as well. Turn the body as you swing and your body will never be in the path of the swing. Swing your arms separately and your body is just another immobile target waiting to get hit by your own weapon.

Well, just so everybody knows, this isn't the way that ALL systems do it. We, for example, don't turn/rotate/move our hips to generate more power (leaves you exposed and open to attack) and we do stand square to our opponent oftentimes.

Different strokes.... :D