• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Going tonight to watch

Mith

a Shotokan class at a local dojo.

I had it limited down to a Chun Kuk Do Dojo or a Shotokan but after speaking with each I am leaning towards the Shotokan. I am looking forward to beginning lessons.

Wanted to see if anyone could help with what kind of questions I should ask (besides the schedule and prices).

Also... I had a knee reconstructed (ACL replaced and cartilage scoped) in 2000 and have been mostly a couch potato since that time. I am still strong as an ox but am very concerned about injuring my knee again. Any insight on this particular issue?

Thanks for the help guys... I am excited to be taking this step as I want to get myself back to being spiritually, mentally, and physically fit. I plan on thaking three classes per week.

Appreciate your help!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
First and foremost, tell the sensei about your knee injury. He/she should know about any physical limitations before you participate.

Correct! I always ask new students if they have any physical limitations that I need to be aware of. Depending on yoru sensei, this shouldn't slow you down much...if at all. My instructor wouldn't take students with physical limjitatio0ns, which I always thought was a pile of doo-doo..and he was never to happy when I did. Different philosophy I guess.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

With your knee injury, it is critical that you discuss this with your instructor. While training is not supposed to be easy, it shouldn't run you the risk of doing permanent harm to yourself. If the instructor does not seem willing to work with you as to what your physical limitations are, then it might not be the best place for you. I have knee issues myself (though I've managed to avoid surgery so far) and I can tell you that Karate training can be very hard on the knees. Good luck, and I hope it works out for you.

In addition to informing your sensei about your knee injury, I would also speak to your doctor about you starting Karate. I'm sure he has other patients that are in your shoes and might have some tips for you. Good Luck!

Be careful of course, you don't want to do anything which will aggrivate the knee.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I had an ACL reconstruction last year. The best advice I can offer you is to listen to your body, which will tell you what is simply pain and what can actually injure you. Styles like Shotokan will emphasize deeper stances, so I suggest you train in the weight room to target your legs, otherwise you risk putting too much stress on your knee if it is not sufficiently backed up by a good foundation of muscle and strengthened connective tissue.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

folks. Very much appreciated.

I watched the class last night and was very impressed. I spoke with the Sensei and he understood my knee injury as he has the same injury (although he has opted not to have surgery yet). I had to have surgery on mine after nine years of it popping out and doing damage as it was on the verge of collapse.

Anyway... there is another student in the class that had the same surgery and the Sensei is fine with us wearing out metal braces. I asked him what he thought about sparring and he said that if someone kicks it they will soon learn that it is not wise to kick that knee.

He told me to look around at other schools (I have looked at three total) and even feel free to come back and try a class for free one night to see what I think about it.

I think I will like this dojo as it really seemed like the whole place was one big family.

Thanks again for the wonderful advice!

Mith

I watched the class last night and was very impressed. I spoke with the Sensei and he understood my knee injury as he has the same injury

Glad to hear that the Sensei has a good understanding of your current situation. If there are any drills that would otherwise limit you, I'm certain he has alternative drills that are just as challenging, for your situation.

Anyway... there is another student in the class that had the same surgery and the Sensei is fine with us wearing out metal braces. I asked him what he thought about sparring and he said that if someone kicks it they will soon learn that it is not wise to kick that knee.

You should be safe, even during sparring. Virtually all Karate schools (and martial arts schools) will not allow people sparring, to kick each other in the knee. Sweeping the lower part of the leg (below the calf), yes, but a sweep to the knee, or a flat-out kick to the knee, no way.

I think I will like this dojo as it really seemed like the whole place was one big family.

Sound promising.

He told me to look around at other schools (I have looked at three total) and even feel free to come back and try a class for free one night to see what I think about it.

This is a wonderful sign. Not that many instructors will encourage you to check out the competition.