• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yama-tsuki and Bassai

Beer-monster

All good information, interpretation is the key I think. There are so many different applications. I think it really depends on the feel of your bunkai that day.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• 5 years later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bringing back the dead, lol.

I was reading the Army Combatives manual as part of my regular exposure to other fighting arts and, surprisingly, saw the yama-tzuki.

The Army is teaching the movement as the intial movement in a single leg takedown. Block an attack with the same side (high) arm, while the lower arm grabs the opposite side knee.

The following spin is finishing the takedown.

The Bunkai/Oyo can be whatever's most effective. The plethoria of possibilities are abound, and at times, quite literal. Although...When is a punch not a punch? When is a strike not a strike? When is a turn not for the turn? When is the kick not a kick? When is the block not a block? When? When one's performing Bunkai/Oyo; that's when!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Well it depends on your view of what Bunkai is really,

From Funakoshi's early writings it's apparent he taught the movement as a throw, and that makes allot of sense. But what he thought has little to do with modern Shotokan clearly!

I personally do not see any logic in the movement being a double strike, but each to their own.

I teach a basic Bunkai and then variations around it, I see the majority of karate techniques as having specific primary application, but also other uses (and if I felt a double punch would work in reality then that would be a fine example of a good variation for me).

A nice answer to why 3 reps, well I don't have one but I have agreed with myself it is most probable it was just done to emphasise certain techniques when in line, train both sides and to get you back onto the original foot.

When done on different angles I believe the 3 rep's are showing the different entries, outside, inside and down the line.

[/img][/url]

Yours in karate

Jim Neeter

https://www.shoshinkanuk.org

Well it depends on your view of what Bunkai is really

Absolutely!

I don't either see the logic behind a double strike, but, I'm not refuting someone else's Bunkai, especially if it works for them. In that, I can't imagine myself doing a double punch/strike, but I can see myself using the mechanics of it as a pull/push for possibly a throw/sweep/etc, especially if it will aide my Tuite.

A nice answer to why 3 reps, well I don't have one but I have agreed with myself it is most probable it was just done to emphasise certain techniques when in line, train both sides and to get you back onto the original foot.

When done on different angles I believe the 3 rep's are showing the different entries, outside, inside and down the line.

I concur with these assessments!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I also find the double strikes concept a little outside of what I'm comfortable applying.

Personally, I always find the most valid applications when I'm looking at the training of non-karatekas. Many times, they run through a sequence of movements that mirror some kata's movements almost identically.

This one was particularly striking because I was looking at Army combatives for how they teach BJJ. Lo and behold, a picture of a guy in fatigues executing a perfect yama tzuki. If you took the opponent out of the picture, you could have given him an award for his form, lol.