• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shaolin Chuan Karate

Davison

I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of Shaolin Chuan Karate. Awhile back, I heard that there was a school in a city near by where I live. I went to check it out and met the instructor before a class that he was about to teach and he asked if I would like to join in for a complamentry lesson. I said yes and when I got on the mat, we went over some basic punching and kicking that were very similar to a style of Karate that I had studied before. Then he started to teach some basic wrist locks and throws that he said were advanced in his system. I went to check this system out because I was interested in learning kungfu because there are no kungfu systems taught in my area. After class, I stayed on the mat with him and explained to him that I have studied Japanese ma's for a long time and he asked if I would be interested in fighting in a tournement that his school was going to attend. I said maybe and he asked if I would spar w/ him so that he could acess my abilitys. I don't think that he belived me that I had studied for as long as I said I did. So, I agreed to do a little sparring and to make a long story short, I threw him from one side of the mat to the other. He didn't land a punch and every time he threw one, I would hit him a few times and the put him in a wrist lock or armbar and throw him. When we were done, he comended me on my skills and said to me that he would teach me his system free of charge if I agreed to teach him my system. He also said that I would not have any compatition if I were to enter the tourny as a white belt and that if I sign up that he would just promote me to black belt level so that I could fight bb level. I was just wondering if anyone has ever even heard about this system or if it is just bogus. I had never heard of shaolin being asociated with Karate before. :down:

Why punch someone when their on the ground when you can just kick them

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Chinese name (Shaolin - in Japanese it's Shorin) connected with a Japanese name (Karate). I smell fish for that reason alone.

Shaolin is often associated with karate ("Shorin" is used in Okinawa to respect the Shaolin monastery), but never in a Chinese form of pronounciation.

You've found just another McDojo - they usually prefer to call those mixtures as "eclectic systems" or similar.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Chinese name (Shaolin - in Japanese it's Shorin) connected with a Japanese name (Karate). I smell fish for that reason alone.

Shaolin is often associated with karate ("Shorin" is used in Okinawa to respect the Shaolin monastery), but never in a Chinese form of pronounciation.

You've found just another McDojo - they usually prefer to call those mixtures as "eclectic systems" or similar.

Agreed! You might have just found the ultimate McDojo! Run, don't walk, to the nearest exit sign.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Davison,

LISTEN to Shorinryuu.

KungfuMan

Only time and commitment will make your Traditional "style" good and give you real knowledge.

"Marry" your chosen system as opposed to just flirting with it.

Make it your partner for life and you will see how well and how complete it really is.

I agree, and of course that makes it official. LOL.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I agree, and of course that makes it official. LOL.

cathal has spoken!!! :roll:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

:D

- Sun-tzu

that's pretty good, but I've got an even better one there is kind of a chain of schools where I live called Karate North Tae Kwon Do, isn't that a good one?

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

If I were going to do the McDojo thing, I'd use "Rock em Sock em Karate"

- Sun-tzu