• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do blocks really work?

In the controlled arena whereby a large percentage of compliancy is administered, it would appear to the onlooker that martial art blocks are very effective indeed.

However, in the scenario of a fully blown gratuitous physical assault, whereby no rules exist, would this still be the case? In reality how many times do you actually see anybody block at all? A street fight is usually complete mayhem and doesn't even get close to resembling how we usually train in the controlled arena. Therefore, my question is in reality are blocks effective?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends very much on how you train to block. Blocks, in conjunction with movement and control of spacing, can be used in most conflicts.

Remember also that blocks can be used as attacks, locks or throws, with just a shift in intent and execution. In many situations, what is often taught as a hard block can in application be much more than that.

"Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice."

M.A.S.

I agree with what you say and yes a block can be used as a multiple technique. However, in the context of this particular question I am refering to the effectiveness of a pure block followed by a counter attack.

One of my Sensei's favorite topics, Sen-no-sen. Attack the attack. You can use a block as an attack, depending on your intent.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

Yes, they still can be. To some degree, the level of mayhem encountered in a fight can be influenced. If your blocks have become ingrained in your motor memory, you still have a good chance of executing them, assuming you are also properly controlling your timing and distance.

"Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice."

M.A.S.

Yes, blocks can be effective, but only if trained with effectively.

As Sasori-Te says "A block is a strike is a lock is a throw."

The reason that some people think that blocking is ennefective is because in many schools it is taught ineffetively.

That's not just in one particular style, either, bad teaching stretches across into many styles these days. :(

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Really? '...blocking is ineffective because in many schools it is taught ineffectively'. What would you deem as being effective blocking? Could you be more specific with your assumptions?

i'm kinda surprised that a goju ryu guy is talking about blocking THEN striking.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

Blocks are effective, even in real world fights.. but most people just forget to use them, or haven't conditioned their arms to the point where they won't break.

If you try to block a stick coming to your head, and you haven't conditioned your arms, your arm will break. If they are conditioned, hopefully the stick breaks.

I think the trouble with forgeting to do it comes from the multitude of different punches that could happen.

If you train in style X, then you will automatically react with a block to an X style punch.. but then someone comes at you with an uppercut, or a barnyard swing or something from style Y.. if you don't practice blocking these, as easy as they are to block, you won't *automatically* do it..

In the chaos of a real fight, everything needs to be automatic.

PhnxShnx