• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is Aikido useful for self-defense?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Is Aikido useful for self-defense?

• yes
    • no

The mechanics for front and back rolls are exactly the same; they mirror each other. If you can master one, the other will fall closely behind. Usually when people start out they can’t do either, or they can do one fairly well. It's not set in stone that one is learnt or mastered before the other.

They're hard to explain in a post, so I suggest you watch someone who does ukemi well, try to mimic their technique, and ask for some pointers, etc.

You mention that you chicken out a bit and you could stand to lose a few pounds.

Personally, I don't think weight is an issue.

50% confidence - 50% technique!

I have a boy in my club that is 40 pounds over weight and he rolls like a tumbleweed. I've also seen some 'mini-sumo-wrestlers' at aikido camps that can do fantastic ukemi.

I imagine you practice on some type of wrestling mats or tatami but probably not in a judo dojo with a suspended floor. So practicing rolls, especially if you lack confidence is a little tough.

Here are some tips... they are tied together so you should work on all of them

1. You need to practice someplace soft. Does you dojo have thicker mats that they keep off to the side? Can you use them before or after class? If not, your yard; a king size bed, etc.

2. You need to practice someplace you feel no pressure. In our dojos after we do taiso, we do ukemi; everyone lines up and we do ukemi around the perimeter of the dojo, one after another, forward - right-left, backward – right-left, 10x for a total of 40. I can sympathize with you; there’s nothing like that pressure of being next in line, holding up the line, or having your mates watch you ‘barrel-roll’ instead of doing proper ukemi.

I mentioned in #1 using mats before or after class. When I run into situations where students can roll do ukemi well, after one or two barrel rolls, I excuse them off the mat and have them practice after class.

3. Momentum! Momentum is directly tied to confidence. If you lack confident you won’t use enough momentum to keep the roll going, and you’ll barrel-roll. The more impetus you use in your rolls, the smoother they’ll become, especially if you are a bit heavy. But you have to have confidence about not getting hurt.

It’s one of those ‘chicken or the egg’ things, I guess…

Anyway, good luck and happy rolling!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may actually take up aikido again a few times a week here at school (it's free, so why not?). I figure I have a lot of the nikyo, ikkyo, sankyo, and kotegaeshi basics down, so it won't hurt to take it up.

Maybe you guys (aikido practicioners) can help me out. One of the things I struggled with a lot in aikido were the backward and forward rolls. I'm a big guy (probbaly need to lose 50 -60 lbs) and I find that I sort of chicken out when I go to do the roll and I end up on my side or back. Any tips?

Practice - actually I need some practice in that area too.

http://jedimc.tripod.com/ma.html - what MA do you do, this is my poll.

JEM618, thanks a ton. I'm going to try and find a place I can practice the rolls. I know it's all mental/technical. I've seen guys heavier than me do them...well, we'll see!

Domo arigato!