• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is Aikido useful for self-defense?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Is Aikido useful for self-defense?

• yes
    • no

Aikido: practical or pointless?

(Keeping in mind I, myself have never studied it)

Is this style useful for self defense? I hear it takes a long time to learn much when studying this, and when you DO learn it it isnt very useful.

I understand there are other arts you can take with Aikido to add to it-would they help any?

*Gi-Yu-Jin-Rei-Makoto-Meiyo-Chugi*

"Life in every breath..."

"That is...Bushido."

"Hai."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aikido is pretty much useless in a real fight unless you study it for like 10 years. Aikido in my view is very much than Kung Fu which takes a longer time master than those martial arts like Karate or TKD.

Aikido is very effective for self defence and in my opinion one of the best, yes it does take a long time to learn but you arent learning nothing in those (say) 4 years of training I believe the stuff you would learn in that 4 years would be perfect for self defence because you have learnt most basic techniques, and the basic techniques on there own are very effective.

Heres a good clip.

http://www.met.rdg.ac.uk/~sws99dsc/rdgaikido/AikidoDemo1.wmv

http://jedimc.tripod.com/ma.html - what MA do you do, this is my poll.

my interest in aikido was peaking when i saw steven segal in his movies...that fella is a great aikido master....but you have to consider that he has been doing aikido his entire life and has a high ranking Dan...

I love brazilian jiu jitsu because from day one it is very practical and you learn the defense then counter in just a few months and can always build on it. Aikido takes awhile and many say its not as effective....

Aikido is a very useful MA, but as some of you said it takes a while to be able to use it effectively.

As jedimc states, the things you learn up until that point are useful in keeping distance, avoiding blows, rolling and movemnet.

The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence,

but in the mastery of his passions.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Quite impressive video clip. I know many will say it's all choreographed but let's face it, the guy is good. I've never done any Aikido, only seen it in clips like this one and in Seagal movies (very impressvie by the way), but I have to say that I'm sure Aikido is very street effective once you become good at it. And this is where the problem lays, it seems to take a very long time to be proficient in this martial art. But for those who are willing to devote many many years to it I'm sure they will become very street effective. It's incredible how they can control someone just by gripping their arm or wrist, impressing. It's also very nice looking.

Aikido is good especially for law enforement/corrections officers. My only problem would be the people who go in to a class so they can learn how to defend their selves..the problem being as everyone has said it will take a long time.

Try out aikido and find out yourself.

to be honest i went to a karate class the other day to check it out. i tried it out and when it came to sparring im so used to aikido. so one on one sparring was easy so when the other two came in. being three on one i have to say i was taking them down easily. i directed one guys sidekick to the guy behind me who was coming at me. aikido is useful and not understandible until one tries it. it does take a while but even with the basics you can defend yourself.

Even the most powerful human being has a limited sphere of strength. Draw him outside of that sphere and into your own, and his strength will dissipate.

What do you want out of the martial arts ? Only you can answer that . It depends on what you are looking for . Google for info on Aikido . I choose to study Ba Gua because it suits me better but Aikido is GREAT .

Yes , by itself Aikido takes alot of practice to be an effective form of self defence . The reason being that it is defence not offence. If you choose to pair it with another martial art it will make you well rounded .

Hard/soft you need to find your own balance .

We are not so much individual beings as individual points of perception within one immense being.