• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

kicking question..

osuperu

ok...wow this maybe is embarrasing to say but how do you do certain kicks in karate without breaking your freaking toes!...i guess you use the balls of your feet but i cant pull my toes back, especially when trying to kick..does it just take loads of practise to keep them back??..or am i just tendon-ly challenged...anybody got any good tips for training them..haha..??

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

there is no written way of kicking, as a karate-ka we have to adapt or techniques according to our body, i don't risk doing side kicks with my right anymore due to a knee injury.if you can't kick with ball of the foot try to learn toe kick, there been some geart masters with ability of strong toe kicks, my sensei has a very strong toe kick just by spending lots of time practicing.

Just focus on your toe muscles, keeping them up. If you practice with a bag, you'll learn pretty quickly to keep them up :)

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

If you presently have a physial limitation which prevents you from drawing the toes up/back, look at some supplemental stretching which focuses on that issue.

With (lots of) practice on a bag, progressing from low to full contact over time, most people who initially have this challenge will be able to work into the proper kicking form.

Practice, practice, practice...

"Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice."

M.A.S.

One of my instructors taught me to improve my foot-technique by simply holding different foot-positions while watching tv, reading, or whatever your doing that doesnt require any wieght on your foot.

I find doing this has helped me with my foot-technique immensely.

Osu.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

If you practice with a bag, you'll learn pretty quickly to keep them up :)

Exactly :) You won't want to kick more than a few times with your toes down

Just keep practicing, it'll come with time :up:

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

Everyone in my school has jammed their toes. I guess it's natural when you've just started. The more you practice with body pads and a heavy bag, the easier it gets to keep your toes up. You really don't want to smash your toes doing a full power kick into the bag. :o Maybe calf or wall stretches would help?

The best a man can hope for

is, over the course of his lifetime,

to change for the better.

To develop improved flexibility in your toes, you could practice calve raises. Stand with your feet together on the balls of your feet on a block and hold on to something to help your balance. Raise up and down concentrating on getting a full stretch in the raised and lower position. Aim to complete two sets of about twenty five reps.

This will greatly enhance your foot flexibility and also have a knock on effect with your general kicking ability.