• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Head gear or no head gear?

Head gear is good to avoid death although it helps only to some degree.

However if martial arts schools want to make us wear head gear they should make ones that are more comfortable to wear yet does its job.

Sometimes I think the headgear can do more damage then good.

I don't know about you guys,but sometimes I feel like the band around the head gear is choking me.I've fought guys where the head gear sometimes fall off,infact sometime 2 or 3 times during a fight.With how easy they can fall off there is almost no point in wearing head gear.

I also find head gear sometimes can block vision allowing the other person to smoke you in head.

So how good is the head gear really?

Personally I'd have to say although it has many disadvantages,it also has some advantages,such as avoiding going deaf and having to wear hearing aid,like someone else mentioned in this thread,and decreasing chances of death.

I believe only full contact fighters like myself really need head gear,it makes no sense to wear it in point sparring,like I used to have to in karate.

Mouth guards are more uncomfortable then head gear I'd say, because you have it in your mouth for sometime,gather up saliva and then find it hard to breath,however I'd rather keep my teeth in place then find them in the middle of the ring.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when we spar we use alot of control so power isnt so important. therefore in theory we dont need pads or head gear. but accidents do happen to so we have pads. i personally hate head gear so i dont wear it and no one else does either. we dont really need it.

• 2 weeks later...
Wear head gear. It wont do harm and it might help. If nothing it will stop your face getting cut up. Nothing macho about not wearing one. Only draw back is it feels a bit weird and you loose a bit of vision. Be safe if you are worried.