• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Head gear or no head gear?

they are important, but it gets really annoying when you try to tilt your head down and look up and cant see anything since the top part of the guard is obscuring you vision, also one nice hit to the side and it will flingin in front of your face like yoda said, and you have to spend time to re-position it whilst you are open to another attack

but overall there important better safe than sorry, but i guess that isnt really the case for yoda, :weirdlook:

Brown Sash Hsing I/Lau Gar Kung Fu

Brown Belt San Shou

17 yr old

http://www.selfdefencehelp.co.uk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah... butmore often than not the persentages of a serious blow to the head just from "instructional sparring" in class is really not worth it to me! We are all involved in different styles here ... a TKD high roundhouse kick usually gets thrown to the side(temple) of the head. At our school, our instructor lets us go for the head as long as we have our opponent's ok to do so. I often get "smacked" full face (ending up with a swollen/bloody nose) and no headgear is going to help that ... 'cept for keeping your guard up! But I can live with that! I may not recover from temple blow! My girlfriend got a serious smack in the face last night dring sparring.

We wear protective "booties" that really don't do anything 'cept make you slide on your arse across the dojang floor. They're padded but don't offer that much protection! Last night I think I fractured my foot with a good elbow block that dug directly into the top of the foot where that 'skwooshy' part with the little bones to the toes are :???: (whatever that area is called ....I'm sure someone could help me out!) Anyway, I am going to have xrayed this morning cos I barely can walk and had a hard time driving home!

So point is your protective equipment is only as good as your guard and blocking technique. Its not made of armor! Also if you can spar with all the restrictions that it may have on you ... I feel will make you all the more better to handle any other situation in a fight that might impede your movement.

ITF/TKD Black Belt (1st dan)/Fitness Kickboxing Instructor

(KarateForums Sensei)

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-02-12 04:33 ]

i think there was a recent partition that headgear should be worn for prefessional boxers, its funny how you have to wear it for semi-contact matches, but when it comes to the real hard-core televised stuff, all you got is your gloves, its barbaric, even if you guys suggest that they dont do much which i personally think so aswell, im sure that must reduce some impact that is delivered to you from a full force punch, no matter how little, they could save your life :weirdlook: :dodgy:

-ad :karate:

Brown Sash Hsing I/Lau Gar Kung Fu

Brown Belt San Shou

17 yr old

http://www.selfdefencehelp.co.uk

a "top ten" head gear spun around eh? ive never seen that happen before or have had that happen to me before. its a great piece of equipment and it specifically says on the site that it doesnt slip. maybe you didnt tighten up the strap at the back?

oh well

You can boo me if you want, You know I'm right!

-Chris Rock

the type of head gear worn in full contact taekwon do offers very little protection or padding..its more intended to keep you from cracking your head open on the floor after being knocked out....and kick chick..its your "metatarsals" that you may have injured.. :grin:

Javier l Rosario

instructor taekwondo/hapkido

under master Atef s Himaya

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO I would have to say lose the hats and fight the good fight!

Bruises and cuts heal and go away, but knowing you have won a real fight stays in your mind!

Again, IMHO

"Which one is more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi

I wear Top Ten Head gear also. The reason I bought it was that the first headgear I had slipped all over. With the Top ten when you buy a specific size you can then adjust it both in the chin strap and also at the back. I find it is shaped in a manner that doesn't restrict my vision or movement and most importantly for me...it doesn't move.

• 1 year later...

Headgear is a MUST! for sparring. It makes no sense in getting hurt before a real fight. Pros wear them when sparring as well. Shin guards too for sparring.

At our gym we wear shin guards,mouthguards, and headgear when we spar. We go about 30% outside of ring, in ring about 70% (We have a ring inside of our gym). Also all full contact!

Fight nights is full contact with no headgear or shinguards (If you so choose...most don't but no one is frowned at if they choose to) but moutguards are always a MUST!